[NatureNS] Not many leps either

From: John and Nhung <nhungjohn@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 13:38:23 -0300

Since there's no such thing as a "typical" year, especially in our neck of
the woods, two years seems like a very small sample size on which to base
conclusions!

* and inappropriate weather for the Butterflies will cause the Atlas to be
unrepresentative of the 2010's, and be a poor comparison when it's repeated
in the future. It's a real problem when a whole year is inappropriateness of
a year for sampling particular kinds of organisms.
In working with freshwater mussels, we depend on low water to get us within
reach of our subjects, for example, and a drought year is much more
productive than one in which Corn grows well.

I wonder if the butterfly Atlas could agitate with its funders for a third
year to complete the work that could have been done in two sunny bright
years.

fred schueler
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad Bishops Mills Natural
History Centre - http://pinicola.ca/bmnhc.htm now in the field on the Thirty
Years Later Expedition -
http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm