[NatureNS] Hummingbird mites

From: Ulli <uhoeger@dal.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 12:26:01 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-1-452912727
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

I like to add that not all -if any- of these mites have to be
parasites or otherwise harmful for the birds.
Pollinators, like hummingbirds or larger insects, are frequently used
by mites and small insects living on plants to hitch a ride to the
next flower.
Since larger feeders are usually visited by more individuals than
smaller ones this would increase the possibility that mites get
"stranded" on those.

All this is just speculation, but identification of the mites in
question could help to solidify or to dismiss this hypothesis.

Ulli

On 19-Aug-11, at 10:12 AM, Randy Lauff wrote:

> Rob, and others.
>
> We don't have any of these mites in the StFX collection. If you get
> more, and are willing, could you pop as many as possible into a
> vial (old screw top pill bottle, film canister [?] or something
> similar) and add rubbing alcohol, and a piece of paper with:
>
> Your location
> Date
> your name
> "collected from hummingbird feeder"
>
> ...all written in pencil (some inks will dissolve into the rubbing
> alcohol).
>
> Then get in touch and we'll arrange transport.
>
> The mites are likely brought to the feeder by the birds themselves,
> so the ant traps won't work.
>
> Randy
> _________________________________
> RF Lauff
> Way in the boonies of
> Antigonish County, NS.
>

> On 19 August 2011 08:52, Rob Woods <rrtwoods@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I noticed on my hummingbird feeders when I have been filling this
> week have mites on them. Which quickly come on to your hands but
> easily washed away. I use ant traps at the hook to discourage them
> but would they control the mite population? I have not noticed
> mites on my smaller feeders without traps?
>
> Rob
>
> Georgefield NS

--Apple-Mail-1-452912727

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">
I like to add that not all -if any- of these mites have to be parasites =
or otherwise harmful for the birds.<div>Pollinators, like hummingbirds =
or larger insects, are frequently used by mites and small insects living =
on plants to hitch a ride to the next flower.</div><div>Since larger =
feeders are usually visited by more individuals than smaller ones this =
would increase the possibility that mites get "stranded" on =
this is just speculation, but identification of the mites in question =
could help to solidify or to dismiss this hypothesis.</div><div><br =
>On 19-Aug-11, at 10:12 AM, Randy Lauff wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite">Rob, and =
collection. If you get more, and are willing, could you pop as many as =
possible into a vial (old screw top pill bottle, film canister [?] or =
something similar) and add rubbing alcohol, and a piece of paper =
(some inks will dissolve into the rubbing alcohol).</div> =
feeder by the birds themselves, so the ant traps won't =
clear=3D"all">_________________________________<br>RF Lauff<br>Way in =
class=3D"gmail_quote">On 19 August 2011 08:52, Rob Woods <span =
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:rrtwoods@yahoo.com">rrtwoods@yahoo.com</a>&gt;</span> =
wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 =
.8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"> <div><div =
style=3D"color:#000;background-color:#fff;font-family:times new roman, =
new york, times, serif;font-size:12pt"><div>I noticed on my hummingbird =
feeders when I have been filling this week have mites on them. Which =
quickly come on to your hands but easily washed away. I use ant traps at =
the hook to discourage them but would they control the mite population? =
I have not noticed mites on my smaller feeders without =

--Apple-Mail-1-452912727--