[NatureNS] RE hummingbird mites

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 23:17:15 -0300
From: Ulli Hoeger <uhoeger@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Rob,

Your wording was quite clear and not misinterpreted by me.
My response was intended to bring the air travel habits of flightless
arthropods to general attention. One of those lesser known nature
trivia facts.

Ant predation could put a dent in the mite population. Still the
question remains how they -the mites- got there in the first place.
What keeps the ants to get up on the feeder will likely keep mites
-and other "bugs"- from getting up there as well.  If they arrived by
air travel the mites could also be kept on the feeder against their
will by those traps. Depending on their dietary needs they may be so
keen to get off that they jump on the next possible ride.

Again, just pure speculation

Ulli