[NatureNS] Re: Large Slug- Guysborough County

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 09:51:04 -0300
From: Rick Ballard <ideaphore@gmail.com>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--20cf307d057635491504ab17887a

Thanks to Frederick Schueler, through the wonders of email this slug has
been partially identified by Ulrich E. Schneppat, a zoologist at the B=FCnd=
ner
Naturmuseum in Switzerland:

"the specimen belongs to the Genus Arion and the Subgenus Mesarion and
without doubt to the sudfuscus-complex but without specimens preserved in
adult stage it is not possible to clear up species identity if at all...
This morph/form I haven't seen among specimens from Canada up to now... For
sure it does not belong to Arion (Arion) ater which has much coarser
crenulations on the mantle and much coarser wrinkles on its back..."

I will be looking for a specimen to preserve the next time I'm at the
cottage...

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Rick Ballard <ideaphore@gmail.com> wrote:

> The slug in this photo <http://ideaphore.com/2011_08190054_edited-1.jpg>,
> afaics, keys out to the Arionidae family, genus Arion, but I can't find a
> photo on the web that looks like this specimen. There is mention of an *A=
rion
> ater var. reticulatum*, which is a possibility given the reticulated
> markings. It is about 7cm long and was photographed at Port Hilford,
> Guysborough Co, NS.
>
> --
> Rick Ballard
> Dartmouth,Nova Scotia, Canada
> http://www.ideaphore.com

--=20
Rick Ballard
Dartmouth,Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.ideaphore.com

--20cf307d057635491504ab17887a

Thanks to Frederick Schueler, through the wonders of email this slug has be=
en partially identified by Ulrich E. Schneppat, a zoologist at the B=FCndne=
r Naturmuseum in Switzerland:<br><br>&quot;the specimen belongs to the Genu=
s Arion and the Subgenus Mesarion and=20
without doubt to the sudfuscus-complex but without specimens preserved=20
in adult stage it is not possible to clear up species identity if at=20
all... This morph/form I haven&#39;t seen among specimens from Canada up to=
=20
now... For sure it does not belong to Arion (Arion) ater which has much=20
coarser crenulations on the mantle and much coarser wrinkles on its=20
back...&quot;<br><br>I will be looking for a specimen to preserve the next =
, Aug 20, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Rick Ballard <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"ma=
ilto:ideaphore@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">ideaphore@gmail.com</a>&gt;</sp=
an> wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
The slug in this <a href=3D"http://ideaphore.com/2011_08190054_edited-1.jpg=
" target=3D"_blank">photo</a>, afaics, keys out to the Arionidae family, ge=
nus Arion, but I can&#39;t find a photo on the web that looks like this spe=
cimen. There is mention of an <i>Arion ater var. reticulatum</i>, which is =
a possibility given the reticulated markings. It is about 7cm long and was =
photographed at Port Hilford, Guysborough Co, NS.<br>

tp://www.ideaphore.com" target=3D"_blank">http://www.ideaphore.com</a><br>