[NatureNS] Loons, Great Blue Heron, Osprey and Bald Eagles

From: Patrick Giffin <p_giffin@hotmail.com>
To: NATURENS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:21:32 -0300

--_5b8f72a6-733e-4373-8b43-1848b964df6c_

Hi.
Paul's recent note wrt the Loon Count reminded me that the Loon poplulation=
 is obvious on the Lahave River between Bridgewater and Dublin Bay.  We fee=
l comfortable with reporting that it is not unusual to see 4-8 loons=2C on =
a regular basis=2C(7 day sample) between the Lahave River Yacht Club(Miller=
's Point) and Fort Point(Lahave). On=2C at least one occasion=2C we observe=
d what we believe was an adult teaching a juvenile loon how to search for f=
ish(etc): their size difference was obvious=2C the larger/adult and the sma=
ller individual were facing one another and the adult would put its head un=
der water=2C then lift it to make eye contact with the smaller individual=
=2C this was repeated several times: finally the smaller individual duplica=
ted the 'head submerged search' regardless of this being an authentic teach=
ing session=2C Barbara and I enjoyed observing the interaction of these two=
 beautiful loons.
=20
This year=2C until recently=2C the Great Blue population was not obvious=2C=
 however=2C during the last couple of weeks we have been seeing 3-4 daily=
=2C near Lahave.  Based on size=2C it is not unusual to see an adult or two=
 with a juvenile(based on size and plummage development).
=20
On two occassions I witnessed a mature Bald Eagle harassing Osprey=2C at Mi=
ller's Pt.=2C causing them to drop fish which the Eagle took=2C either from=
 or slightly below the river's surface.
Cheers=2C Barbara and Pat 		 	   		  =

--_5b8f72a6-733e-4373-8b43-1848b964df6c_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
Hi.<BR>
Paul's recent note wrt the Loon Count reminded me that the Loon poplulation=
 is obvious&nbsp=3Bon the Lahave River between Bridgewater and Dublin Bay.&=
nbsp=3B We feel comfortable with reporting that it is not unusual to see 4-=
8 loons=2C on a regular basis=2C(7 day sample)&nbsp=3Bbetween the Lahave Ri=
ver Yacht Club(Miller's Point)&nbsp=3Band Fort Point(Lahave). On=2C at leas=
t one occasion=2C we observed what we believe was an adult teaching a juven=
ile loon how to search for fish(etc): their size difference was obvious=2C =
the larger/adult and the smaller individual were facing one another and the=
 adult would put its head under water=2C then lift it to make eye contact w=
ith the smaller individual=2C this was repeated several times: finally the =
smaller individual duplicated the 'head submerged search' regardless of thi=
s being an authentic teaching session=2C Barbara and I enjoyed observing th=
e interaction of these two beautiful loons.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
This year=2C until recently=2C the Great Blue population was not obvious=2C=
 however=2C&nbsp=3Bduring the&nbsp=3Blast couple of&nbsp=3Bweeks we have be=
en seeing 3-4 daily=2C near Lahave. &nbsp=3BBased on size=2C it is not unus=
ual to see an adult or two with a juvenile(based on size and plummage devel=
opment).<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
On two occassions I witnessed a mature Bald Eagle harassing Osprey=2C at&nb=
sp=3BMiller's Pt.=2C&nbsp=3Bcausing them to drop fish which the Eagle took=
=2C either&nbsp=3Bfrom or slightly below the river's surface.<BR>
Cheers=2C Barbara and Pat<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_5b8f72a6-733e-4373-8b43-1848b964df6c_--