[NatureNS] Fw: Great Shearwater

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 20:04:12 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_yesGRhuASp7WUG+Tl9nXpQ)

Laura and I started this evening's walk from the mail boxes at the corner of Ketch Harbour Road and Chebucto Head Road, thence along Chebucto Head Road to our look-off about 100 metres southwest of the Chebucto Head Light.  Floating down below near Parliament Rock was a Great Shearwater. As is fashionable for this species it was following a fishing boat. It is probably a straggler from the feeding frenzy that occurred offshore August 16, rather than a new arrival.

Note that Chebucto Head is not at Chebucto Head Light but just southwest of Parliament Rock at the first search light bunker from WWII.

At the gate at the bottom of the hill we spotted a Lincoln's Sparrow which stopped to pose, allowing us nice views.

Hans
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_yesGRhuASp7WUG+Tl9nXpQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19120">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Laura and I started this evening's walk from the
mail boxes at the corner of Ketch Harbour Road and Chebucto Head
Road,&nbsp;thence&nbsp;along Chebucto Head Road to our look-off about 100 metres
southwest of the Chebucto Head Light.&nbsp; Floating down below near Parliament
Rock was a <STRONG>Great Shearwater</STRONG>.&nbsp;As is fashionable for this
species it was following a fishing boat.&nbsp;It is probably a straggler from
the feeding frenzy that occurred offshore August 16, rather than a new
arrival.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Note that Chebucto Head is not at Chebucto Head
Light but just southwest of Parliament Rock at the first search light bunker
from WWII.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>At the gate at the bottom of the hill we spotted a
<STRONG>Lincoln's Sparrow</STRONG> which stopped to pose, allowing&nbsp;us nice
views.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_yesGRhuASp7WUG+Tl9nXpQ)--