[NatureNS] Hover Flies & Others

Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 14:30:25 -0300
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Angus, bugsters
Some hoverflies like the alien Eristalis tenax are highly variable. At
one point I found this site with pictures very helpful for IDs, if you
don't know it already:

http://www.canacoll.org/Diptera/Staff/Skevington/Syrphidae/speciespages.htm

Typo: your Merodon equestris is missing the middle 'e' in the
picture's legend.

There's another very good, similar site for eastern deerflies, of
which there are 20-odd, but I can't find it immediately to include
here. Also tricky to ID.

Great pictures.

Steve, Halifax