[NatureNS] Point Michaud field trip highlights Aug. 27

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 22:24:29 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_CnPEFfX9yGGKB3XGjRA77Q)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
As usual, Cape Breton hospitality was out in full force for the Point Michaud birding field trip on Sat. Aug. 27. The group size was considerably smaller this year for some reason and the birding a little slow. It was foggy at beautiful Pt. Michaud Beach and the fog did not lift in the 4 hours we were there. This somewhat limited visibility. The tide was dropping as we started out and if there were shorebirds in the inner ponds, they were mostly gone when we got to them. We puzzled for a few minutes over a group of Red Knots and in the end we saw 26 of them including one with quite a bit of red. We tallied about 9 shorebird species- none in any great numbers and nothing out of the ordinary.
The other unusual sighting was an out-of-season Long-tailed Duck. I tallied 45 species including a few noted after the delicious mid-day lunch when only Billy Digout and I carried on for about an additional hour.
I carried my butterfly net and netted a small butterfly in the Point Michaid saltmarsh identified as a SaltMarsh Copper with the help of Jim Edsall who looked at my photo. Jim notes this is the first record of this species away from the Northumberland coastline.
cheers
ken

--Boundary_(ID_CnPEFfX9yGGKB3XGjRA77Q)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19120">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>As usual, Cape Breton hospitality was out in full
force for the Point Michaud birding field trip on Sat. Aug. 27. The group size
was considerably smaller this year for some reason and the birding a little
slow. It was foggy at beautiful&nbsp;Pt. Michaud Beach and the fog did not lift
in the 4 hours we were there. This somewhat limited visibility. The tide was
dropping as we started out and if there were shorebirds in the inner ponds, they
were mostly gone when&nbsp;we got to them. We puzzled for a few minutes over a
group of <STRONG>Red Knots</STRONG> and in the end we saw 26 of them including
one with quite a bit of red. We tallied about&nbsp;9 shorebird species- none in
any great numbers and nothing out of the ordinary.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The other unusual sighting was an out-of-season
<STRONG>Long-tailed Duck</STRONG>. I tallied 45 species including a few noted
after the delicious mid-day&nbsp;lunch when only Billy Digout and I carried on
for about an additional hour. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I carried my butterfly net and netted a small
butterfly in the Point Michaid saltmarsh identified as a SaltMarsh Copper with
the help of Jim Edsall who looked at my photo. Jim notes this is the first
record of this species away from the Northumberland coastline.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>ken</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_CnPEFfX9yGGKB3XGjRA77Q)--