[NatureNS] Big I. Sept.4-

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 07:44:58 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_A9KqGBtpnspMvGBwIGsnhg)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
Spent yesterday, Sept. 3 birding on Big I. meeting up for a time with Ann Doull and a couple of european birders. It was quite warm, but for some reason, the mosquitoes were not in as full a force as they have been up to this point. We tallied just under 70 species and I will highlight a few with larger concentrations.
I had my first migrant HORNED GREBE on the strait sight of the causeway. There were 70 Surf Scoters, 78 Green-winged Teal and 105 Common Mergansers. On the Strait in the morning were 175 Northern Gannet, a lot sitting on the water, but at times diving. There were a number of what looked like Grey Seals in that areas as well.
There were 70 DC Cormorants and a lone Great Cormorant which appeared to be oiled on the belly and did not seem to want to fly away even when on-lookers approched it closer than I would expect a bird to tolerate.
There were 20 Common Loons and I counted 20 Great Blue Heron, but likely missed some as there is usually more than that. There were 4 raptor species including a Merlin and a Broad-winged Hawk. The 13 species of shorebird are summarized at the end but the Golden Plover was seen in a ploughed field at high tide with a number of Black-bellys
and Ring-billed Gulls.  I noted 190 Bonaparte's Gulls but only 8 Common Terns which seems a little low for this area.
Had only 7 warbler species with the numbers of Yellow-rumps increasing. A Chippping Sparrow was the only sparrow highlight.

Black-bellied Plover  19
American Golden-Plover  1
Semipalmated Plover  103
Solitary Sandpiper  1
Greater Yellowlegs  13
Lesser Yellowlegs  17
Ruddy Turnstone  3
Red Knot  3
Sanderling  7
Semipalmated Sandpiper  120
Least Sandpiper  16
White-rumped Sandpiper  5
Short-billed Dowitcher  49

cheers
ken

--Boundary_(ID_A9KqGBtpnspMvGBwIGsnhg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19120">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Spent yesterday, Sept. 3 birding on Big I. meeting
up for a time with Ann Doull and a couple of european birders. It was quite
warm, but for some reason, the mosquitoes were not in as full a force as they
have been up to this point. We tallied just under 70 species and I will
highlight a few with larger concentrations. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I had my first migrant HORNED GREBE on the strait
sight of the causeway. There were 70 Surf Scoters, 78 Green-winged Teal and 105
Common Mergansers. On the Strait in the morning were 175 Northern Gannet, a lot
sitting on the water, but at times diving. There were a number of what looked
like Grey Seals in that areas as well. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>There were 70 DC Cormorants and a lone Great
Cormorant which appeared to be oiled on&nbsp;the belly and did not seem to want
to fly away even when on-lookers approched it closer than I would expect a bird
to tolerate. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>There were 20 Common Loons and I counted 20 Great
Blue Heron, but likely missed some as there is usually more than that. There
were 4 raptor species including a Merlin and a Broad-winged Hawk. The 13 species
of shorebird are summarized at the end but the Golden Plover was seen in a
ploughed field at high tide with a number of Black-bellys </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>and Ring-billed Gulls. &nbsp;I noted 190
Bonaparte's Gulls but only 8 Common Terns which seems a little low for this
area.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Had only 7 warbler species with the numbers of
Yellow-rumps increasing. A Chippping Sparrow was the only sparrow
highlight.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">Black-bellied
Plover&nbsp; 19<BR>American Golden-Plover&nbsp; 1<BR>Semipalmated Plover&nbsp;
103<BR>Solitary Sandpiper&nbsp; 1<BR>Greater Yellowlegs&nbsp; 13<BR>Lesser
Yellowlegs&nbsp; 17<BR>Ruddy Turnstone&nbsp; 3<BR>Red Knot&nbsp;
3<BR>Sanderling&nbsp; 7<BR>Semipalmated Sandpiper&nbsp; 120<BR>Least
Sandpiper&nbsp; 16<BR>White-rumped Sandpiper&nbsp; 5<BR>Short-billed
Dowitcher&nbsp; 49</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><FONT size=3
face="Times New Roman"></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><FONT size=3
face="Times New Roman">cheers</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><FONT size=3
face="Times New Roman">ken</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_A9KqGBtpnspMvGBwIGsnhg)--