[NatureNS] Highlights from 2 days on Brier Island

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 17:21:27 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>, NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>

--00151750e3a401644104ac235801

Hi,

I just returned from 2 days on Brier, birding with Alan Covert and Eric, +
the banders and others were there. Weather was beautiful. Large numbers of
Harley-Davidsons made their presence well felt, and heard, in Westport and
all along the Neck and the 101.

Early morning sea watches from N.Light were really the highlight. On Sat.
there were thousands of Phalaropes, and small flocks of Gannets, + Greater
Shearwaters going by continuously, heading SW. Today numbers were far fewer,
but the mix included a MANX and 2 Sooty shearwaters.

We went out on the 12:30 whale cruise yesterday, and the Humpbacks put on a
good show, as did a pod of White-sided dolphins. There were countless
thousands of Phalaropes all over the water, nearly all Red, with a
smattering of Red-necked, but few other seabirds.

High tide at Pond Cove yesterday was interesting - the beach is covered in
kelp after the heavy rains of 3 weeks ago, which makes for difficult
viewing. But we were able to watch and photograph the 2 BUFF-BREASTED
SANDPIPERS for about 15 minutes at close range. There were small flocks of
Sanderling, Ruddy turnstone, Semi plovers and Sandpipers, both Yellowlegs,
and a possible mystery rarity that I'll leave others to mention if they wish
to.

Warbler watching was very slow, with a few N.Waterthrush, G-C kinglets and
common local breeders and possible common migrants in small numbers at
N.Light. The local E.BLUEBIRD family was hanging around the cemetery.

Both Merlins and Sharpies were in evidence, there were several Bald Eagles,
1 Red-tail, several N.Harriers, and some dozen or more Broad-wings,
suggesting that the Fall hawk migration has already started. There were 2
T.Vultures over Sandy Cove on the way down and back. Gt. Horned, Saw-whet,
and LONG-EARED owls were seen/ heard by others, and again I'll leave the
details to them as I wasn't there at the time. Others may also wish to add
to the report if I have left out anything important.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--00151750e3a401644104ac235801

lan Covert and Eric, + the banders and others were there. Weather was beaut=
iful. Large numbers of Harley-Davidsons made their presence well felt, and =
heard, in Westport and all along the Neck and the 101.=A0</div>

highlight. On Sat. there were thousands of Phalaropes, and small flocks of =
Gannets, + Greater Shearwaters going by continuously, heading SW. Today num=
bers were far fewer, but the mix included a MANX and 2 Sooty shearwaters.</=
div>

e Humpbacks put on a good show, as did a pod of White-sided dolphins. There=
 were countless thousands of Phalaropes all over the water, nearly all Red,=
 with a smattering of Red-necked, but few other seabirds.</div>

beach is covered in kelp after the heavy rains of 3 weeks ago, which makes =
for difficult viewing. But we were able to watch and photograph the 2 BUFF-=
BREASTED SANDPIPERS for about 15 minutes at close range. There were small f=
locks of Sanderling, Ruddy turnstone, Semi plovers and Sandpipers, both Yel=
lowlegs, and a possible mystery rarity that I&#39;ll leave others to mentio=
n if they wish to.</div>

h, G-C kinglets and common local breeders and possible common migrants in s=
mall numbers at N.Light. The local E.BLUEBIRD family was hanging around the=
 cemetery.</div>

several Bald Eagles, 1 Red-tail, several N.Harriers, and some dozen or more=
 Broad-wings, suggesting that the Fall hawk migration has already started. =
There were 2 T.Vultures over Sandy Cove on the way down and back. Gt. Horne=
d, Saw-whet, and LONG-EARED owls were seen/ heard by others, and again I&#3=
9;ll leave the details to them as I wasn&#39;t there at the time. Others ma=
y also wish to add to the report if I have left out anything important.</di=
v>

lto:sternrichard@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br=

--00151750e3a401644104ac235801--