[NatureNS] Charter to Isle Haut

Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 12:49:23 -0300
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

We were up in Parrsboro and Advocate Harbour with visitors in November
last year.  When I asked a similar question, someone (can't remember
who) said that years ago, local parties from Parrsboro used to go out
there for day picnics, presumably in fishing boats.  So it used to
happen, weather and ocean permitting -- it's a trip of several km.

I'm still interested in the bristletails (similar to silverfish) that
colonize the Bay of Fundy's volcanic cliffs like those at Hall's
Harbour, and recall that Andrew Hebda at the Museum of Natural History
in Hfx said that he had recorded these insects in a survey of Isle
Haut some years ago.  He and his party obviously got there somehow so
he may be the person to advise you.  Andrew replies to this list
occasionally so may see this.

I'd be interested if you find out any details of what's possible --
please keep us/me posted, either on the list or privately.
   Steve, Halifax