[NatureNS] N.B. Whale-watching boat trips

From: "Laurie Murison" <gmwhale@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 22:09:41 -0300

There are no trips from Saint John itself.  You have to travel to Grand
Manan or St. Andrews.

I would opt for Grand Manan but then I am biased since I live there, but the
opportunity to see pelagic seabirds is greater.  There are two tours from
Grand Manan, Whales-n-Sails Adventures (aboard a motorized sailing ketch)
and Sea Watch Tours (aboard a lobster boat).  Both have great guides equally
capable of spotting both birds and whales and are very knowledgeable.  I am
one of the naturalists, by the way, on the Whales-n-Sails Adventures.  The
trips from Grand Manan are starting to wind down because tourist numbers
decline quickly after Labour Day so it is best to contact both companies to
see when their next trips are scheduled.  The ferry ride to Grand Manan can
be an experience in itself. I understand the outdoor viewing is better from
the Grand Manan V than the Grand Manan Adventure because the outdoor deck
space is limited to the stern on the Adventure but I have yet to have the
opportunity to travel on the new Adventure.

There are several tours from the St. Andrews area but often only Quoddy Link
regularly tries to travel outside the Passamaquoddy area to the Wolves where
pelagics are more likely to be seen.  However, some interesting gull species
can be seen in the Head Harbour area.  The guides are enthusiastic.

Laurie Murison
Grand Manan, NB