[NatureNS] September Insect I.D. help

From: "I & N" <foxhollow@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 22:14:34 -0300

I saw a fascinating insect today flying above my lawn.
It seemed to be propelling itself through the air as though swiming.
It was very wispy/ephemeral.
I initially mistook it for some sort of seed dispersal fluff.
It was quite capable of darting in another direction when I approached.
It travelled no faster than my walking pace.
It took up a space a bit larger than a toonie in diameter.
I'm not sure if it had either four 'legs' or eight, or if those were the
wings.
The 'legs' might have been the wings, or part of the wings (hey, it was all
in motion!)
These 'legs' were black, possibly with lighter or white bands.
The wings may have been seperate and very transparent.
The dark part of the leg (or wing) as well as the body was very thin (less
than 2mm)

By the time my wife arrived with the camera I had lost it.

Below is some ASCII art of the general shape of it.
It almost resembles a water-strider in the air.
\\          //
 \\       //
      ][
      ][
   //    \\

I am still searching on bugguide.net
Any ideas?
I am no expert, but I am a pretty good student and longtime observer and  I
have never seen anything like this. Plus, interesting that it is early
September!?

Thanks for any ideas.
Ian M.
Hammonds Plains