[NatureNS] September Insect I.D. help

Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 01:30:35 -0300
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Doesn't fit a 'crane fly' in the strict sense (= from fly family
Tipulidae), but fits pretty exactly a fly from a quite different
family of similarly 'primitive' (= of ancient origin) flies, the
Ptychopteridae.  The one seen here occasionally is the 'phantom crane
fly' Bittacomorpha clavipes, which floats around in a ghostly fashion
without seeming to be flying at all.  The legs are quite chunky at the
ends and are alternately banded black and white, and are the stand-out
things that the eye picks up first when you spot it.
You don't have to be a member to check out insects on Bugguide, so just go to:

http://bugguide.net

then in the search box type

Bittacomorpha

to see many images come up of this striking species, B. clavipes,
which I think is the only common one here in the East.  I saw one
about a month ago.

Echoing Jim Wolford recently, I've been seeing lots of the 'real'
September crane flies (Tipula, probably paludosa, ex. European) here
in Halifax in the last 10 days, but very little of interest generally
otherwise, in the insect line since ~24 July.  I have a couple of live
traps in the garden and have been catching very little since then,
though recently I did catch a couple of the odd pelicinid wasps that
Chris Majka mentioned, on successive days (2 different individuals).
They also float around slowly and hover over lawns, but are jet black
all over and have an extremely long recurved abdomen held like a
horizontal question mark -- very distictive.  It doesn't sound like
that was what you saw.
Steve, Halifax