[NatureNS] September Insect I.D. help

Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 22:31:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: bev wigney <bev@magickcanoe.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Ian,

I agree with Steve.  You have provided an excellent description of a Phantom crane fly (Bittacomorpha clavipes).  My own photos of them are so bad that I hesite to post a link, but this one should help as far as identification goes.
http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/31204883
I occasionally see them around my place here at Round Hill. They like to hang out in soggy areas such as around a little spring that flows through a very shaded area of the property.  Also, I almost always see at least one each time I fill water bottles at the spring by the church on Dalhousie Rd. near Lequille.  They fly around in the tall grasses where the spring outlet flows. They are difficult to photograph as they usually perch on the undersides of leaves in shady spots.  When flying, they are so invisible that the camera has a hard time finding them.

As Steve has mentioned, Tipulidae (crane flies) seem plentiful at the moment.  In fact, I can't say I have seen such an abundance anywhere in past memory.   They come in numbers to the porch lamp at night, which in turn, quickly attracts the bats.  I am also finding them drowned in any container where any bit of rainwater has collected during storms.

Bev Wigney
Round Hill, N.S. (in summer)