[NatureNS] Caribou I.- herring= many Gannets

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 08:08:51 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_6EjH8fEfnALkFi7bW6+NPg)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
Rick Ferguson and I made a run to Caribou I. Sunday morning, Sept. 1, to check on the progress of the herring run and the wildlife it attracts annually this time of year. The large concentration of wildlife was just beyond the reef at the bar at the lighthouse end of the island. There were about 300+ Gray Seals, 200+ Double-breasted Cormorants, 700 Bonapate's Gulls, several hundred Herring and Ring-billed Gulls and a small number of Great Black-backed Gulls. There were about 20 Common Terns, and at least 5 Bald Eagles over the feeding birds. The Northern Gannets were a bit more distant, but by far the most nummerous species present. They were moving around the area just west of Pictou I.
It was somewhat difficult to count, but I estimate at least 3000 were present. Many were sitting on the water, but there was also a large cloud in the air with 100's diving at any moment. At one moment we saw a smallish whale pass through the area as well. The fishing fleet was taking a weekend break, but it is neat to go to the area at night and observe the fushery with all the lights making it look like a little village on the water.
cheers
ken

--Boundary_(ID_6EjH8fEfnALkFi7bW6+NPg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19120">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Rick Ferguson and I made a run to Caribou I. Sunday
morning, Sept. 1, to check on the progress of the herring run and the wildlife
it attracts annually this time of year. The large concentration of wildlife was
just beyond the reef at the bar at the lighthouse end of the island. There were
about 300+ Gray Seals, 200+ Double-breasted Cormorants, 700 Bonapate's Gulls,
several hundred Herring and Ring-billed Gulls and a small number of Great
Black-backed Gulls. There were about 20 Common Terns, and at least 5 Bald Eagles
over the feeding birds. The <STRONG>Northern Gannets</STRONG> were a bit more
distant, but by far the most nummerous species present. They were moving around
the area just west of Pictou I.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>It was somewhat difficult to count, but I estimate
at least<STRONG> 3000</STRONG> were present. Many were sitting on the water, but
there was also a large cloud in the air with 100's diving at any moment. At one
moment we saw a smallish whale pass through the area as well. The fishing fleet
was taking a weekend break, but it is neat to go to the area at night and
observe the fushery with all the lights making it look like a little village on
the water. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>ken</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_6EjH8fEfnALkFi7bW6+NPg)--