[NatureNS] Fw: Eastern Screech-Owl

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 19:29:17 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_gVIDR+B6FLSWWhFOa9scfw)

----- Original Message -----
From: Hans Toom
To: NS-RBA
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2011 7:28 PM
Subject: Eastern Screech-Owl

I met Ray Staszko this evening as he was heading home after visiting Duncan Reef. He often goes out there to film whales and seals. He reported an Eastern Sreech-Owl yesterday evening near the MacIntosh Run, Halifax. He describes it as a small tufted owl with a harsh screeching call. The owl's tufts rule out Boreal Owl or Northern Saw-whet as potential candidates and the size is accurate. I held out my hands to indicate the size of the bird and he said that was correct. The area here is rich habitat reminiscent of Algonquin Provincial Park with interconnecting creeks, marshes, lakes and woodlands. It's a good place to get lost!

Access to MacIntosh Run at this location is near the LumberMart, 751 Herring Cove Road. I might also try Barry Crescent or Lockwood Avenue as access points. The trail should be reasonably well used although this is the first I've heard of it. He uses a head light, literally, to make his way out in the dark.

Hans
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_gVIDR+B6FLSWWhFOa9scfw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19120">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A
title=htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href="mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans Toom</A>
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com
href="mailto:NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com">NS-RBA</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Monday, September 12, 2011 7:28 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Eastern Screech-Owl</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I met Ray Staszko this evening as he was heading
home after visiting Duncan Reef.&nbsp;He often goes out there to film whales and
seals. He reported an <STRONG>Eastern Sreech-Owl</STRONG> yesterday evening near
the MacIntosh Run, Halifax. He describes it as a small tufted owl with a harsh
screeching call.&nbsp;The owl's tufts rule out Boreal Owl or Northern Saw-whet
as potential candidates and the size is accurate. I held out my hands to
indicate the size of the bird and he said that was correct. The area here is
rich habitat reminiscent of Algonquin Provincial Park with interconnecting
creeks, marshes, lakes and woodlands. It's a good place to get
lost!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Access to MacIntosh Run at this location is near
the LumberMart, 751 Herring Cove Road. I might also try Barry Crescent or
Lockwood Avenue as access points. The trail should be reasonably well used
although this is the first I've heard of it. He uses a head light, literally, to
make his way out in the dark.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_gVIDR+B6FLSWWhFOa9scfw)--