[NatureNS] Fw: Eastern Screech-Owl(addendum 2)

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 16:42:02 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_zSyKrUtnOSBtBos1mYLCSw)

----- Original Message -----
From: Hans Toom
To: NS-RBA
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:41 PM
Subject: Eastern Screech-Owl(addendum 2)

Ray Staszko sent me a video of the subject owl yesterday evening. As expected the video recording itself is unlikely to be diagnostic unless I can develop a scale to measure the height of the bird. The Eastern Screech-Owl is 6-10 inches tall. The only other possible candidate species might be Long-eared Owl at 12-16 inches tall, a marked difference in size. He discounted the Long-eared Owl in the field due to its wrong shape and larger size. He viewed the bird from a distance of 50 feet atop a burned out 25-30 foot tall tree.

Interestingly, what he described as a screech to me, is more of a warble, "I was also struck by the vocalizations, shrieks or screeches spaced about 4 seconds apart in sets of three." and,"However to my ears there as much more texture to the sound, a kind of an eerie warble."

Ray sent me a second e-mail after researching owl calls and alarms, "If you go to this website, scroll down to Eastern screech owl, and open the audio clip called B-Song (Ithaca) this is almost exactly the sound my owl was making when I first heard him, before I got close enough to cause him to move to the second tree. Thereafter he continued to make a similar sound but it was shorter, more tentative, and less frequent. I know the video doesn't really capture this, but I am confident in what I saw and heard, as I paid close attention. http://www.owlpages.com/sounds.php "

I will test my photographic editing skills and see if I can develop a scale to measure this owl. Sherlock Holmes's logic applies here, that is if you can eliminate the impossible then whatever remains no matter how improbable is the truth(paraphrased). If the owl is less than 10 inches tall it's an Eastern Screech Owl.

Hans
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_zSyKrUtnOSBtBos1mYLCSw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19120">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A
title=htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href="mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans Toom</A>
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com
href="mailto:NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com">NS-RBA</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:41 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Eastern Screech-Owl(addendum 2)</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ray Staszko sent me a video of the subject owl
yesterday evening. As expected the video recording itself is unlikely to be
diagnostic unless I can develop a scale to measure the height of the bird. The
<STRONG>Eastern Screech-Owl</STRONG> is 6-10 inches tall. The only other
possible candidate species might be Long-eared Owl at 12-16 inches tall, a
marked difference in size. He discounted the Long-eared Owl in the field due to
its wrong shape and larger size. He viewed the bird from a distance of 50 feet
atop a burned out 25-30 foot tall tree. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Interestingly, what he described as a screech to
me, is more of a warble, "<FONT size=3><FONT size=2><EM>I was also struck by the
vocalizations,&nbsp;shrieks or screeches spaced about 4 seconds apart in sets of
three." </EM>and<EM>,"</EM></FONT></FONT><FONT size=3><FONT size=2><EM>However
to my ears there as much more texture to the sound, a kind of an
eerie&nbsp;warble</EM></FONT>."</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ray sent me a second e-mail after researching owl
calls and alarms, "<FONT face=Arial><EM>If you go to this website, scroll down
to Eastern screech owl, and open the audio clip called B-Song (Ithaca) this is
almost exactly the sound my owl was making when I first heard him, before I got
close enough to cause him to move to the second tree. Thereafter he continued to
make a similar sound but it was shorter, more tentative,&nbsp;and less frequent.
I know the video doesn't really capture this, but I am confident in what I saw
and heard, as I paid close attention</EM>.&nbsp;</FONT><A
href="http://www.owlpages.com/sounds.php" rel=nofollow
target=_blank><EM>http://www.owlpages.com/sounds.php</EM></A><EM><U>
</U></EM>"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I will test my photographic editing skills and see
if I can develop a scale to measure this owl. Sherlock Holmes's logic applies
here, that is if you can eliminate the impossible then whatever remains no
matter how improbable is the truth(paraphrased). If the owl is less than 10
inches tall it's an Eastern Screech Owl.</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV></FONT>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial><FONT
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR></FONT><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/"><FONT
size=2>http://www.hanstoom.com/</FONT></A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_zSyKrUtnOSBtBos1mYLCSw)--