[NatureNS] Fwd: Eastern Screech-Owl

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:39:30 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--00151747926046134a04acf01d3b

Hi,

After seeing Ray's description, and playing the B-song from Cornell (had to
d/l it and play it in I-tunes - all very easy on a Mac), and the movie clip,
it all looks/ sounds pretty convincing to me. But I agree, a sonogram would
be neat.

I just watched the movie Ghost Bird, on DVD - in case you haven't seen it,
it's a very well done documentary on the IBWO - including the effect of its
re-discovery on the local economy in Arkansas, then the doubts expressed by
Sibley et al, a great analysis by various experts why Sibley is right, some
great footage taken by Tanner in the 1930s of actual birds, and all put
together very professionally. I mention this partly for a general
recommendation of a good movie, but also as an example of the extreme
lengths one may have to go to to prove that a bird is or isn't in a given
place.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--
#################
Dr.R.B.Stern,

--00151747926046134a04acf01d3b

scription, and playing the B-song from Cornell (had to d/l it and play it i=
n I-tunes - all very easy on a Mac), and the movie clip, it all looks/ soun=
ds pretty convincing to me. But I agree, a sonogram would be neat. <br>

een it, it&#39;s a very well done documentary on the IBWO - including the e=
ffect of its re-discovery on the local economy in Arkansas, then the doubts=
 expressed by Sibley et al, a great analysis by various experts why Sibley =
is right, some great footage taken by Tanner in the 1930s of actual birds, =
and all put together very professionally. I mention this partly for a gener=
al recommendation of a good movie, but also as an example of the extreme le=
ngths one may have to go to to prove that a bird is or isn&#39;t in a given=
 place.<br>

ote">On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Hans Toom <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a hr=
ef=3D"mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca" target=3D"_blank">htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
<u></u>

margin-left:5px">
ze:12pt"><font face=3D"Arial" size=3D"2">----- Forwarded Message -----<br><=
  &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:raystaszko@eastlink.ca" target=3D"_blank">raystaszk=
a><br>

 2011=20
l=20
 =20

rn=20
  screech owl, and open the audio clip called B-Song (Ithaca) this is almos=
t=20
  exactly the sound my owl was making when I first heard him, before I got =
close=20
  enough to cause him to move to the second tree. Thereafter he continued t=
o=20
  make a similar sound but it was shorter, more tentative,=A0and less=20
  frequent. I know the video doesn&#39;t really capture this, but I am conf=
ident in=20
  what I saw and heard, as I paid close attention.=A0</font></div>
owlpages.com/sounds.php</a>=20
a" href=3D"mailto:snahmoot@yahoo.ca" target=3D"_blank">Hans Toom</a> </div>
.eastlink.ca" target=3D"_blank">HansToom</a> </div>
=20
owl</div></div>
rif;color:#000;font-size:10pt">
margin-left:5px">
ze:12pt"><font face=3D"Arial" size=3D"2">----- Forwarded Message -----<br><=
=3D"mailto:raystaszko@eastlink.ca" target=3D"_blank">raystaszko@eastlink.ca=
</a>&gt;<br>

ont-weight:bold">Sent:</span></b> Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:39:19=20
e and=20
 =20

and will=20
  continue to do so and read the journals when I get a chance (the next cou=
ple=20
  of weeks are very busy for me). It almost goes without saying -- but shou=
ldn&#39;t=20
  -- that your photography is impressive both for its content and its=20
  quality.</font></div>
re but=20
  from different perspectives and no doubt different temperaments. Your mai=
n=20
  knowledge/love is birds and you sometimes shoot mammals because they come=
 your=20
  way in the course of your hikes. For me it is more or less the other way=
=20
  around. The only animal about which I consider myself an &quot;amateur au=
thority&quot;=20
  is the beaver. They are sort of a long-term research project for me.=20
  Everything else I have picked up here and there as I went along.</font></=
div>
es to=20
  photography. Basically, you know what you are doing and do it well, and I=
=20
  don&#39;t. I have an old second-hand EVF 8 mp with very limited op zoom t=
hat=20
  shoots low quality video and will only give me a profesional quality stil=
l=20
  photo once in a while, more out of luck than skill. I take the pictures m=
ainly=20
  for my own use to keep records of what I see. The nice thing about digita=
l is=20
  that if you go out a few times every week and take=A0dozens of shots each=
=20
  time, some of them are bound to turn out well. A craftsman, I&#39;m not, =
I&#39;m=20
  afraid.</font></div>
d to send=20
  you the video I shot the other night of the possible/probable(?) screech =
owl.=20
  This might be the poorest quality photographic record that anyone has eve=
r=20
  tried to show you. However, under the circumstances I am delighted to hav=
e any=20
  record at all of this bird. I was walking out of deep woods on my way hom=
e=20
  after dark, with the camera put away as there was no option of shooting=
=20
  reasonable photos in the dark. When I first heard and then saw the owl, I=
 had=20
  to fumble to get the thing out and get it activated. I knew there was zer=
o=20
  chance of a photo in the darkness (the owl wasn&#39;t close enough to eve=
n=20
  consider the flash) but I thought I might be able to get something with t=
he=20
  video option, and I more or less did. You can see the shape of the owl, h=
is=20
  relative size compared to the knwon dimensions of the tree he was in, his=
=20
  tufts (if you pause the video and look very closley) and you hear one fai=
nt,=20
  low quality vocalization. The video doesn&#39;t show the tufts extremely =
well but=20
  I saw them clearly and unquestionably with my eyes before he moved to the=
=20
  second tree.</font></div>
t a full=20
  minute or more, and heard at least 20 vocalizations. At first he was in t=
he=20
  top of a tree directly in front of me. As I was fumbling with the camera =
he=20
  flew off, but fortunately only a sort distance. When I first saw him he a=
s=20
  atop a burned-out 25 to 30 foot=A0 tree about 50 feet in front of me. He=
=20
  then flew to near but not at the top of another burned out tree of about =
the=20
  same height that put him perhaps 100 feet from me. Before he flew off I g=
ot a=20
  decent look at him. My first impression was that this was the smallest tu=
fted=20
  owl I&#39;d ever seen, like a great horned in miniature. However, I was a=
lso=20
  struck by the vocalizations,=A0shrieks or screeches spaced about 4 second=
s=20
  apart in sets of three. On the video the sound quality is poor (that=20
  microphone muffles sound emanating from more than a few feet away). Howev=
er to=20
  my ears there as much more texture to the sound, l kind of an=20
  eerie=A0warble.</font></div>
As you=20
  know owls make a variety of sounds, and there are a few other owls that=
=20
  screech on occasion. However, add to the sound the size of the bird and t=
he=20
  tufts, and though I certainly stand to be corrected, it seems that the Ea=
stern=20
  screech owl is the strongest possibility. Too small, and wrong overall sh=
ape=20
  or tuft shape, to be long-eared, and much too small to be great horned. I=
f=20
  there are other small horned owls that are found in Nova Scotia and emit=
=20
  screeches, then these could be considered possibilities as well, but I=20
  couldn&#39;t find any other candidates mentioned in the NS Museum&#39;s o=
nline=20
  listings. I was not able to observe the bird closely enough to record the=
=20
  coloration and markings, but what I remember is compatible with photos I =
have=20
  since seen of the E. screech owl.</font></div>
However,=20
  unless you have QuickTime software on your computer you might not be able=
 to=20
  open it. In case that happens. I will also (in a separate message) send o=
u a=20
  link to my You Tube site (which makes proprietary video files more widely=
=20
  accessible in format). I do not post videos there to display to the publi=
c=20
  (all of my videos are primitive at best), only for friends to see on the =
odd=20
  occasion. However, there is nothing there of a personal nature.</font></d=
iv>
 into you=20
  are almost certainly Bohemian waxwings. I actually have some passably goo=
d=20
  photos of those somewhere (my filing system is atrocious, but I could fin=
d=20
  them with enough time). They are supposedly more Western, but I came acro=
ss a=20
  photo online of a large number of them in Maine, and if they can come to =
Maine=20
  they can stray over=A0here on occasion. They are the only other unusual=
=20
  bird I&#39;ve ever seen that I&#39;ve been able to identify with any conf=
idence.=20
  Everything else I&#39;ve come across you have no doubt seen 1000=20
  times.</font></div>
v>
ada<br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">sternric=
hard@gmail.com</a><br>