[NatureNS] shreech owl outside window

From: "Heather Drope" <heather.drope@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 08:39:27 -0300

--Alt-Boundary-20333.294689281

My friend, Dianne Powell of Wentworth Station, Cumb.Co., had a screech owl
outside her upstairs window. This was in the middle of the night. She couldn't
see it but it was in the tree next to the window. She had heard the owl before
and thought it was just a strange sounding barred owl or something but this time
she caught the sound clearly. I just phoned her and she said it was a whirrrr
sound with a bit of a treble (my words) and then the sound dropped down and
ended. She said it kept doing it and she , even weeks later, can mimic it.
She can be reached at 1-902-548-2876
The other bird of interest and surprise for her was a N.Goshawk. She has seen
them elsewhere but she was hiking up on the mountain and her dog stopped
and looked up at something in the tree right above her and her companion. This
bird did not fly away so she was able to ID it.. She has had them attack her
elsewhere so knows the species.This also was several weeks ago and was a
first for this area as she knows it.
Diannes late husband, Bryon Scallion, was an atlasser for the first book and
being as there is nothing to do for entertainment up there, not like us city folk,
becoming self taught naturalists was their entertainment. One can be envious of
her still.
Thought I would share this info.
Heather
Heather Drope