[NatureNS] Butterflies and birds on Eastern Shore visit

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 06:36:26 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_FlhCTFROdNIUjw+SLZXLEg)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
Rick Ferguson and I birded our way through the Lorne-Sheet Harbour Rd. through the Liscomb Game Sanctuary yesterday Sept. 17. There was a noticeable increase in the number birds along this route from a couple of weeks ago. We had 9 species of warbler with Palm most numerous, but we did have a Bay-breasted, and a couple of Blackpolls as well. Also numerous were Blue-headed Vireos, Flickers, Juncos and a few Ruby -crowned Kinglets.  At the intersection with Seloam's L. road we had a singing White-winged Crossbill. This species has been present in this area for some time now. We also photographed a  Red Crossbill, but were not overly successful in recording the sound with I-pod. It seemed to stop calling when I had it on and I only got a small clip of it as it flew off. A Solitary Sandpiper was quite co-operative in a quarry pond south of the sanctuary despite an overhead Kestrel on the cliff above the quarry which was being taunted by a dozen warblers (Palm and Myrtle).

At Sober I. it was somewhat windy, but we tallied 42 species of birds including a couple of Baltimore Orioles, an Ipswich Sparrow and an Osprey. There were a few shorebirds : Semipalmated Plover-17, Semipalmated Sandpiper-3, Least Sandpiper, 2, Spotted Sandpiper-2,  and Sanderling-4.Off shore, 2 swallow-like birds flying with Gannets may have been Storm-petrels but they were a little distant to be sure.

On the island we encountered the following butterflies: American Lady (2), Wood Nymph (3), Cabbage White (4), Clouded Sulphur (1), Red Admiral  (2) and a Questionmark? (1)( photographed the admiral , lady and probable question mark for the atlas). We had the others species of butterfly from a previous visit.

On the way home through Malay Falls we identified a Lark Sparrow along the shoulder of the road.

cheers
ken

--Boundary_(ID_FlhCTFROdNIUjw+SLZXLEg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19120">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Rick Ferguson and I birded our way through the
Lorne-Sheet Harbour Rd. through the Liscomb Game Sanctuary yesterday Sept. 17.
There was a noticeable increase in the&nbsp;number birds along this route from a
couple of weeks ago. We had 9 species of warbler with Palm most numerous, but we
did have a <STRONG>Bay-breasted</STRONG>, and a couple of Blackpolls as well.
Also numerous were Blue-headed Vireos, Flickers, Juncos&nbsp;and a few Ruby
-crowned Kinglets.&nbsp; At the intersection with Seloam's L. road we had a
singing <STRONG>White-winged Crossbill</STRONG>. This species has been present
in this area for some time now. We also photographed a&nbsp;&nbsp;<STRONG>Red
Crossbill</STRONG>, but were not overly successful in recording the sound with
I-pod. It seemed to stop calling when I had it on and I only got a small clip of
it as it flew off. A <STRONG>Solitary Sandpiper</STRONG> was quite co-operative
in a quarry pond south of the sanctuary despite an overhead Kestrel on the cliff
above the quarry which was being taunted by a dozen warblers (Palm and Myrtle).
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>At Sober I. it was somewhat windy, but we tallied
42 species of birds including a couple of <STRONG>Baltimore Orioles</STRONG>, an
<STRONG>Ipswich Sparrow</STRONG> and an <STRONG>Osprey</STRONG>. There were a
few shorebirds : Semipalmated Plover-17, Semipalmated Sandpiper-3, Least
Sandpiper, 2, Spotted Sandpiper-2,&nbsp; and Sanderling-4.Off shore, 2
swallow-like birds flying with Gannets may&nbsp;have been Storm-petrels but they
were a little distant to be sure. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On the island we encountered the following
butterflies: American Lady (2), Wood Nymph (3), Cabbage White (4), Clouded
Sulphur (1), Red Admiral&nbsp; (2) and a Questionmark? (1)( photographed the
admiral , lady and probable question mark for the atlas). We had the others
species of butterfly&nbsp;from a previous visit.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On the way home through Malay Falls
we&nbsp;identified a <STRONG>Lark Sparrow</STRONG> along the shoulder of the
road.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>ken</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_FlhCTFROdNIUjw+SLZXLEg)--