[NatureNS] Gull ID question

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 22:42:38 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0015174c1cbc6da11b04ad4176ef

Hi Angela,

Sorting out gulls can be frustrating but rewarding. The first thing to do is
to be able to recognize the common gulls in your area, especially the
adults. In most of NS, 90% of gulls will be Herring (gray and white) and
Great Black-backed (black and white, and bigger). The rest will be
Ring-bills and Bonapartes, + in winter Icelands - with a smattering of much
rare ones such as Lesser Black-backs, Black-headed, Glaucous etc. My
suggestion is to look at your field guide (Sibley and Nat.Geo. both do gulls
really well) and study the gull pages - particularly the initial blurb that
explains the differences between different ages, and why the differences
between adult and imms of 1 species are greater than the differences between
adults or imms of different species. I suspect that the "big grey ones" are
1st or 2nd year Herring gulls.

Adult LBB gulls are smaller, slimmer looking, have dark gray rather than
black, backs, tend to have a lot of dark smudging on the head, and have
yellow, rather than pink, legs compared to GBB gulls - and they're MUCH
rarer. Forget about the 1and 2 year old ones until you really know your
stuff.

Hope this helps,

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--0015174c1cbc6da11b04ad4176ef

Hi Angela,<br><br>Sorting out gulls can be frustrating but rewarding. The f=
irst thing to do is to be able to recognize the common gulls in your area, =
especially the adults. In most of NS, 90% of gulls will be Herring (gray an=
d white) and Great Black-backed (black and white, and bigger). The rest wil=
l be Ring-bills and Bonapartes, + in winter Icelands - with a smattering of=
 much rare ones such as Lesser Black-backs, Black-headed, Glaucous etc. My =
suggestion is to look at your field guide (Sibley and Nat.Geo. both do gull=
s really well) and study the gull pages - particularly the initial blurb th=
at explains the differences between different ages, and why the differences=
 between adult and imms of 1 species are greater than the differences betwe=
en adults or imms of different species. I suspect that the &quot;big grey o=
nes&quot; are 1st or 2nd year Herring gulls.<br>

n black, backs, tend to have a lot of dark smudging on the head, and have y=
ellow, rather than pink, legs compared to GBB gulls - and they&#39;re MUCH =
rarer. Forget about the 1and 2 year old ones until you really know your stu=
ff.<br>

n, Sep 18, 2011 at 6:18 PM, AngelaJoudrey <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"=
mailto:aljoudrey@eastlink.ca">aljoudrey@eastlink.ca</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<b=
r>

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">While out last night, there were a number o=
f gulls in the fields. <br><br>I think the most likely common gulls would b=
e herring, greater backed and lesser black=A0 backed gulls. Would that be r=
ight?<br>

he other &quot;black and white&quot; ones?<br><br>Is there a distinctive ma=
rk that separates the greater from the lesser black backed gulls?<br><br>

( I forgot to mention the numerous yellow butterflies, smallish, not swallo=
wtails. Might they be something with the name &quot;sulphur&quot; in it? Th=
ey were close to the path and stayed close to the grass . )<br><br>Thanks!<=
br>

Angela in Windsor
chard Stern, <br>Port Williams, NS, Canada<br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichar=
d@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>##############=
#####<br>

--0015174c1cbc6da11b04ad4176ef--