[NatureNS] possible breeding Scarlet Tanager

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 16:49:23 -0300
From: iamclar@dal.ca
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi all:

The interesting thing about Randy's forwarded image of a Yellow
Warbler is that it's a very dull, dark female - although should
probably be brightened a little for most screens. It in fact is a
ringer for descriptions and a few images of the boreal subspecies
_amnicola_. which nests as far north as Ungava (where I've seen them)
and is said to nest as nearby as insular Nefoundland and Gaspé, and
possibly n. NB. There is an old summer specimen from CBRM. We're more
used to seeing brighter _aestiva_ here, but maybe more effort ought to
be expended on looking for these darker birds in our boreal-like
habitats - note this one's in a spruce(?).

Cheers, Ian
Ian McLaren

.