[NatureNS] greenbriar and button bush

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 08:25:27 -0400
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 10/2/2011 7:00 AM, Paul MacDonald wrote:

> Green Briar is interesting - a great tangle where it occurs but very
> widely scattered.

* for those without experience in southern New England, I'll point out
that this, and other thorny species of Smilax, form immense impenetrable
tangles in the woods there, that they're bird-dispersed, they're
presumably limited by temperature in Canada, and that disproportionate
success is predicted for vines (and already documented in the Amazon, at
least) as atmospheric carbon dioxide levels increase, so we'd expect
Greenbriar to spread and for new colonies to be established as a result
of global warming.

On the other branch of this thread, the Hudsonia folks in the lower
Hudson valley consider Buttonbush to be the best habitat for Blanding's
Turtles, a relationship which doesn't seem to be conspicuous in eastern
Ontario (though this may just be due to the fact that the Turtles would
be invisible in a Buttonbush swamp).

fred schueler
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
now in the field on the Thirty Years Later Expedition -
http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm