[NatureNS] greenbriar and button bush

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 15:51:44 -0400
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

 &amp;lt;bckcdb at istar.ca&amp;gt; &lt;a href=3D
On 10/2/2011 10:40 AM, Paul MacDonald wrote:
> Interesting Fred.
> How does Greenbriar multiply?

* presumably by seeds, as you suggest, so maybe one reason for the
northern range limit is limited ability to flower and set seed.

> Presumably by seed but I never saw any seed any time I was around the
> plants.

> Another plant of similar habitat is Water Willow or Swamp Loosestrife.
> It doesn't occur much around here and where it does its hard to access.
> Susposed to have good flowers.

* a magnificent species, and not attacked by the Galerucella Beetles
that have been introduced to control its invasive relative. Bev Wigney
has taken some nice photos of the flowers -
http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/47237787 - and other shots in this
gallery.

fred.