[NatureNS] Fw: Baird's Sparrow(well, maybe)

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 10:58:36 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_6Yd/oskaBxBpahMkiTkI5A)

----- Original Message -----
From: Hans Toom
To: NS-RBA
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2011 10:58 AM
Subject: Baird's Sparrow(well, maybe)

Beside the road up to the mansion at Duncan's Cove I spotted an usual sparrow. It was foggy with a light rain falling at the time. The bird sported a pale white throat outlined with black vertical stripes. Overall the appearance was "Lapland Longspur" in coloration, albeit lighter, and with a rufous wing patch(juvenile). It responded to the call of the Baird's Sparrow. Unfortunately I didn't get a good look and it didn't come out when I returned with my camera just minutes later. This bird will need confirmation. With the crummy weather upon us for the next few days it just may hang around.

Other notables in the area included; Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Philadelphia Vireo, Swamp Sparrow and Baltimore Oriole(2).

Warblers present were; Yellow-rumped, Common Yellowthroat, Blackpoll and Nashville.

Hans
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_6Yd/oskaBxBpahMkiTkI5A)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19120">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A
title=htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href="mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans Toom</A>
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com
href="mailto:NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com">NS-RBA</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Monday, October 03, 2011 10:58 AM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Baird's Sparrow(well, maybe)</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Beside the road up to the mansion at Duncan's Cove
I spotted an usual sparrow. It was foggy with a light rain falling at the time.
The bird sported a pale white throat outlined with black vertical stripes.
Overall the appearance was "Lapland Longspur" in coloration, albeit lighter, and
with a rufous wing patch(juvenile). It responded to the call of the
<STRONG>Baird's Sparrow</STRONG>. Unfortunately I didn't get a good look and it
didn't come out when I returned with my camera just minutes later. This bird
will need confirmation. With the crummy weather upon us for the next few days it
just may hang around.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Other notables in the area&nbsp;included;
<STRONG>Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Philadelphia Vireo, Swamp Sparrow and Baltimore
Oriole(2).</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Warblers present were; <STRONG>Yellow-rumped,
Common Yellowthroat, Blackpoll&nbsp;and Nashville</STRONG>.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_6Yd/oskaBxBpahMkiTkI5A)--