[NatureNS] herons

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 18:45:00 -0300

two large Great Blue Herons at Ragged Harbour, Queens County this pm. We
were pretty close (by accident) and man are they big!! There may have been
more; as I listened I could hear that histing sound and it was from much
further into the marsh than the two birds we saw were.
A hummingbird flew very close to the car as we drove toward West Berlin from
Beach Meadows on the shore road. At Andrews head there are many many birds
down in the shelter of the rocks and kelp to the left of the road's end. At
beach meadows we saw three Semipalmated Plovers plus two small shorebirds
that were a soft grey above and quite white below. The body was slimmer than
the others and the legs longer and they bobbed and dipped constantly. They
seemed to have longer necks but they may just have been stretching theirs to
the max.
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens