[NatureNS] Fw: Hooded Warbler

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 16:55:23 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_BdJAQRjUq4UjnyADGtmSsA)

---- Original Message -----
From: Hans Toom
To: NS-RBA
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 4:54 PM
Subject: Hooded Warbler

Fulton Lavender and I teamed up for a morning of birding. At Duncan's Cove we had Philadelphia Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler, American Redstart, Black-and-white Warbler and Common Yellowthroat. Raptors included Merlin and Northern Harrier. While we were standing on the entrance road scanning the bushes Fulton thought he heard a Baird's Sparrow singing faintly from the grasses below the two westernmost cottages. Alas, we both agree that young birds of many species have sloppy and incomplete songs this time of year so visual confirmation is usually required.

Later just before noon at Sambro Creek we found a Hooded Warbler. Interestingly, the trail at Sambro Creek was by far the most active bird location we encountered today. For me it was the most active location this fall. While the Hooded Warbler was the only addition to this list a longer stay there than the ten minutes we could afford would certainly have been productive. As the Terminator said, "I'll be back".

Another addition was two Grey Jays crossing over Sandy Cove Road.

Hans
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_BdJAQRjUq4UjnyADGtmSsA)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19120">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>---- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A
title=htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href="mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans Toom</A>
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com
href="mailto:NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com">NS-RBA</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, October 04, 2011 4:54 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Hooded Warbler</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Fulton Lavender and I teamed up for a morning of
birding. At Duncan's Cove we had <STRONG>Philadelphia Vireo</STRONG>,
<STRONG>Red-eyed Vireo</STRONG>, <STRONG>Yellow-rumped Warbler</STRONG>,
<STRONG>Blackpoll Warbler</STRONG>, <STRONG>American Redstart</STRONG>,
<STRONG>Black-and-white Warbler </STRONG>and <STRONG>Common
Yellowthroat</STRONG>. Raptors included <STRONG>Merlin</STRONG> and<STRONG>
Northern Harrier</STRONG>. While we were standing on the entrance road scanning
the bushes Fulton thought he heard a Baird's Sparrow singing faintly from the
grasses below&nbsp;the two westernmost cottages. Alas, we both agree that young
birds of many species have sloppy and incomplete songs this time of year so
visual confirmation is usually required.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Later just before noon at Sambro Creek we found a
<STRONG>Hooded Warbler</STRONG>. Interestingly, the trail at Sambro Creek was by
far&nbsp;the most active bird location we&nbsp;encountered today. For me it was
the most active location this fall. While the Hooded Warbler was the only
addition to this list a longer stay there than the ten minutes we could
afford&nbsp;would certainly have been productive. As the Terminator said, "I'll
be back".</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Another addition was two <STRONG>Grey Jays</STRONG>
crossing over Sandy Cove Road.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT><FONT size=2
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_BdJAQRjUq4UjnyADGtmSsA)--