[NatureNS] Hartlens Pt Today

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 20:15:18 -0300

Tuesday, October 4, 2011  Hartlen Point - Back Cove

Met Alan Covert, Jim Edsall, and later Angus MacLean on the last part of
Service Road leading down to the famous Willow trees.   We all saw the
yellow bellied cuckoo.

Managed to see some warblers, but none rare.  A black and white warbler,
blackpoll warbler and a black throated green warbler were flitting around
before moving on.   Saw a plain/ pale looking vireo flying by.

Later on, all I found were six black capped chickadees. There was road
construction going on near the right arm of the T-intersection (putting in a
large culvert pipe) to reduce flooding?  A tractor with a front loader and
rear excavator was there so I guess the birds moved on?   Frequent traffic.
The repairs were completed in 2 30 pm.   It became cool, grey and gusty so I
left.

The nice find was a black-billed cuckoo.   No large white spots.  It was in
a tree near the "dump"

Angus MacLean found a veery and a Philadelphia vireo in the left arm of the
T-intersection (Jimmy's Lane).

Cheers
Liz