[NatureNS] YB Cuckoo

Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 16:48:46 -0300
From: <duartess@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: Jim Edsall <jim.edsall@bellaliant.net>

Thanks Jim,

I did not report it because I wasn't sure but I thought I saw one in a tree just beyond my backyard within the greenbelt yesterday afternoon just when I let 'Dash' out after I got home from work. I did not have my binoculars but it kind of reminded me of a Mourning Dove but the colour was all wrong, it was what appeared to me at that distance, a grayish colour back & head but a whitish belly & throat. I could not tell the colour of the bill. Anyway I looked at it for a minute or so, then tip-toed into the house to get my binoculars but it was gone when I returned. I did mention it to my neighbor to keep his eyes open though.
So with this sighting today & so close to me, perhaps I did see this same bird (which would be a 1st for me!). Btw, I did pick up the book 'The Big Year' at Chapters. What an enjoyable read!

Gayle MacLean
Dartmouth.