[NatureNS] chickadees & Pigeon Problem

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 11:55:40 -0300

Not here in Dartmouth (Lake Banook area). Not that many, mind you
(chickadees), many more Song Sparrows and American Goldfinch and there are
certainly a fair number of red squirrels and TOO MANY Pigeons. I only put
black oil sunflower seeds in my feeders and only niger in my finch feeders
but those rotten pigeons (as bad as starlings) eat everything too and to my
husbands chagrin, perch on ours and the next door neighbors roofs. He wants
me to take down the feeders. Any thoughts as to how I might situate them so
as to make them inaccessible for the pigeons?

Thanks for any tips,

Gayle MacLean

Gayle, my father in law worked up a cage with Hardware cloth to cover the
feeders, leaving ports for the smaller birds to come and go, it has worked
beautifully. You can decide if you even want something as big as a starling
or Blue Jay. We did that here one year when we had way too many grackles and
it worked a charm.
Marg in White Point, Queens