[NatureNS] re Blue Mussel attachment ?

Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 16:48:27 -0300
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

14px; "&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0p
Biologists sometimes want to stick bits of animal tissue samples down
to things or to seal tissue wounds to themselves, and some
cyanoacrylate adhesive products (Vetbond?) supposedly permit this,
allowing adhesion even in the presence of surface water.
The byssus glue on the tips of the Mytilus threads of course has to
set under sea water, so should be ideal for this.  A few years ago I
saw some advertized commercially, extracted somehow.  Not an
economical buy though, as I recall,  the price being about $1000 -- I
think this was for only a microgram of the stuff.
Steve, Halifax