[NatureNS] Fork Tailed Flycatcher

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: NatureNS List <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
CC: David Walmark <davidmary3@eastlink.ca>,
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 00:17:39 -0300

--_7735510e-8918-48f5-ad5a-9bb15db78295_

Hello all:

    First  point - there is no Morden in Annapolis Co.=3B it is in Kings Co=
.=2C far from where the Yellow-headed Blackbird was seen. I emphasize that =
because I know that many of you report to eBird=2C and getting the county r=
ight is important for anyone using those data (as well as those keeping cou=
nty lists).  Unfortunately=2C eBird includes all observations on one checkl=
ist in the county and locality of the point mapped for it=2C even though th=
e location description may make it clear that the checklist is for a trip t=
hat covers parts of more than one county.  This has resulted in many errors=
 in early and late dates and even species lists for Kings and Annapolis Cou=
nties.  I would urge eBird=2C if they must accept multi-county checklists=
=2C to exclude them from county and locality records=2C and all observers t=
o limit reports on a single checklist to locations within one county.
=20
   The message I got on my answering machine when I checked it about 1700 t=
oday (from David Walmark) did not mention Morden=2C but said that he and Ma=
ry had seen the Fork-tailed Flycatcher on the fence across the road from th=
e farm where we had the Yellow-headed Blackbird last spring.  This was the =
farm of David Bent=2C on route 362=2C which is=2C as James says=2C north of=
 Middleton (in Annapolis Co=2C).  We stopped there in spring on the way bac=
k from Port George=2C but the farm is on the part of the route before the r=
oad to Port George splits off that to Margaretsville.  It is an extension o=
f Commercial St. in Middleton=2C but I describe the location in reports as =
Spa Springs (west)=2C as that is the nearest community.  I went down there =
from about 1720-1830 this p.m. but did not find the bird.  Unfortunately I =
did not note the house number=2C but it is the only large cattle farm along=
 362 before it turns to the east.
=20
   Oh well=2C perhaps it will be there tomorrow.   I have not had time to g=
et out to see any of the other goodies around the province=2C but=2C for th=
e record=2C did see an immature Dickcissel with migrant sparrows in the wee=
ds along the beach at Gulliver's Cove=2C Digby Co.=2C late Friday p.m.=2C O=
ctober 7.=20
=20
=20

Wayne P. Neily=20
Tremont=2C Kings Co.=2C Nova Scotia
=20

" Believe me=2C because I have experienced it=2C you will find more in the =
woods than in books.
Trees and stones will teach you what no schoolmaster will tell you..."  St.=
 Bernard de Clairvaux  (1090 - 1153)
=20