[NatureNS] Birds in Big Island

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 14:31:37 -0300

It was rather hazy and glaringly bright so it was difficult to see birds
clearly.

Birds I found in Big Island on Sunday, October 9th

1 Red throated loon
20 Gannets, mostly in the water
60 Pectoral sandpipers on Reid's field (at high tide)
20 Black bellied plovers
20 Dunlins
few semipalmated sandpipers
few semipalmated plovers
1 Greater yellowlegs
200+ Canada Geese
1 Greater white fronted goose (Thanks, Bruce!)
1 Yellow billed cuckoo
10+ Common terns
5 Bonparate Gulls
3 American pipits
1 possible Horned Lark
Very very few sparrows

I flushed out the yellow billed cuckoo in a tree on Sebastin's property at
the western end.  It's my first cuckoo on Big Island.  So was the greater
white fronted goose, which was a juvenile.

Cheers
Liz