[NatureNS] Nature observations Eastern Shore- Oct. 13. Blue Grosbeak,

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 10:43:50 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_h80k07pTreB4pHMfGM5PWg)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
Rick Ferguson, Charlie Kendell and I made a trip to the eastern Shore yesterday via the Liscomb Game Sanctuary? visiting Sober I., but also went as far east as Harrigan Cove.
While Charlie and I were standing in my Plymouth driveway at 6:50, we heard an American Woodcock twittering in aerial display. After picking up Rick in Westville we were pleased to see a roadside Great Horned Owl near West Branch L. between Lorne and Trafalgar. We observed a Pileated Woodpecker flying a few minutes before this so our day was off to a pretty good start.
The drive through to Sheet Harbour was pretty quiet otherwise with a few Robins, Siskins, Juncos as well as resident GC Kinglets and Chickadees. We had a single RC Kinglet, and a few of the routine sparrows RB Nuthatches. At the Seloams L. turnoff, we were disappointed in not hearing Crossbills as we had both species there in Aug. and Sept. trips. A single Purple Finch was heard.

Sober I. seemed rather quiet. We tallied 39 species. Highlights included a Pied-billed Grebe in the channel by bridge to the island. Black Guillemots were quiet numerous and we noted at least 43 of them. While looking at flock of 30+ American Goldfinches and a few Pine Siskins along the Mozier Cove Rd., Rick spied a different bird which from his discription sounded like either a Blue Grosbeak or I. Bunting. We left it unidentified but on the other side of the road, while observing our only 2 species of shorebirds ( Semipalmated Sandpiper-1 and Semipalmated Plover-9) we observed 2 Hermit Thrush travelling with a couple White-throated Sparrows. We made our way to the back cove and walked the Weber graveyard trail. It was extremely quiet here although we noted 5 Red-necked Grebes with the Common Eiders and RB Mergansers.

Back at Mozier Cove area we were able to relocate Rick's mystery bird and positively identified it, as well as a second one, as Blue Grosbeaks ( tan fall birds with quite a bird of tail-flicking activity. They were photographed. While doing this we observed  a Peregrine Falcon fly over the inner pond and watched a jumping mouse hop down the road and soon after a weasel which Charlie and Rick obtained very nice photos as is ran back and forth across the road, under my vehicle and on the rocks by the cove. Very entertaining indeed. A lone butterfly in this area, our only one for the day was a Clouded Sulphur.

After leaving Sober I., we travelled east on the Passage Rd. and stopped at the bridge beyond the Child/Foote property . Here we found a white egret in the trees at the far end of the pond. It was distant, but after about 20 min. of scoping and using cameras to enlarge photos of the bird, we determined it was a Snowy Egret with mostly black bill, yellow lores, black legs and yellow feet. I feel pretty confident on the lore colour, but it would have been nice to have had a closer view, but when we returned an hour later, we did nor see the egret.
At Beaver Harbour, there was a large flock of water birds including 10 Long-tailed Ducks, 140 Surf Scoter, 1 White-winged Scoter and % Horned Grebes.
We ended the day with a modest 54 species of birds, but the Blue Grosbeaks and Snowy Egret were lifers for Rick and Charlie.

cheers
ken

--Boundary_(ID_h80k07pTreB4pHMfGM5PWg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19154">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Rick Ferguson, Charlie Kendell and I made a trip to
the eastern Shore yesterday via the Liscomb Game Sanctuary? visiting Sober I.,
but also went as far east as Harrigan Cove. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>While Charlie and I were standing in my Plymouth
driveway at 6:50, we heard an <STRONG>American Woodcock</STRONG> twittering in
aerial display. After picking up Rick in Westville we were pleased to see a
roadside <STRONG>Great Horned Owl </STRONG>near West Branch L. between Lorne and
Trafalgar. We observed a Pileated Woodpecker flying a few minutes before this so
our day was off to a pretty good start.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The drive through to Sheet Harbour was pretty quiet
otherwise with a few Robins, Siskins, Juncos as well as resident GC Kinglets and
Chickadees. We had a single RC Kinglet, and a few of the routine sparrows RB
Nuthatches. At the Seloams L. turnoff, we were disappointed in not hearing
Crossbills as we had both species there in Aug. and Sept. trips. A single Purple
Finch was heard. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Sober I. seemed rather quiet. We tallied 39
species. Highlights included a <STRONG>Pied-billed Grebe</STRONG> in the channel
by bridge to the island. Black Guillemots were quiet numerous and we noted at
least <STRONG>43</STRONG> of them. While looking at flock of 30+ American
Goldfinches and a few Pine Siskins along the Mozier Cove Rd., Rick spied a
different bird which from his discription&nbsp;sounded like either a Blue
Grosbeak or I. Bunting. We left it unidentified but on the other side of the
road, while observing our only 2 species of shorebirds ( Semipalmated
Sandpiper-1 and Semipalmated Plover-9) we observed </FONT><FONT size=2
face=Arial>2 <STRONG>Hermit Thrush</STRONG> travelling with a couple
White-throated Sparrows. We&nbsp;made our way&nbsp;to the back cove and walked
the Weber graveyard trail. It was extremely quiet here although we noted 5
Red-necked Grebes with the Common Eiders and RB Mergansers. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Back at Mozier Cove area we were able to relocate
Rick's mystery bird and positively identified it, as well as a second one, as
<STRONG>Blue Grosbeaks</STRONG> ( tan fall birds with quite a bird of
tail-flicking activity. They were photographed. While doing this we
observed&nbsp; a <STRONG>Peregrine Falcon</STRONG> fly over the inner pond and
watched a jumping mouse hop down the road and soon after a weasel which Charlie
and Rick obtained very nice photos as is ran back and forth across the road,
under my vehicle and on the rocks by the cove. Very entertaining indeed. A lone
butterfly in this area, our only one for the day was a Clouded
Sulphur.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>After leaving Sober I., we travelled east on the
Passage Rd. and stopped at the bridge beyond the Child/Foote property . Here we
found a white egret in the trees at the far end of the pond. It was distant, but
after about 20 min. of scoping and using cameras to enlarge photos of the bird,
we determined it was a <STRONG>Snowy Egret </STRONG>with mostly black bill,
yellow lores, black legs and yellow feet. I feel pretty confident on the lore
colour, but it would have been nice to have had a closer view, but when we
returned an hour later, we did nor see the egret. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>At Beaver Harbour, there was a large flock of water
birds including 10 <STRONG>Long-tailed Ducks</STRONG>, <STRONG>140</STRONG> Surf
Scoter, 1 White-winged Scoter and % Horned Grebes. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>We ended the day with a modest 54 species of birds,
but the Blue Grosbeaks and Snowy Egret were lifers for Rick and Charlie.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>ken</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_h80k07pTreB4pHMfGM5PWg)--