[NatureNS] Yellowlegs in Canning

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 21:10:44 -0300

While in Canning today I checked out the Habitant River by the Legion Hall
for ducks  and noted the water level was not only very low but possibly as a
result of the shallow depth 50 Yellowlegs  sp. were 'resting' in the river
along with 60 Mallards and 34 Black Ducks.  I heard Lesser Yellowlegs
calling but was unable to get an accurate breakdown of Gtr. vs. Lsr. because
the view was limited.  Before Harris' Pond behind the Baptist Church in
Canning was flooded a number of years ago, raising the water level
dramatically, dozens of  roosting yellowlegs could be found there standing
on fallen trees that lay in the water  or along the pond edges during their
Fall migration.

Although I did attempt to check out Harris' Pond where I heard a Lsr
Yellowlegs calling, the pathway is so overgrown that it is impassable and I
had  retreat without seeing  if there was an area where shorebirds could
gather.

Cheers,
Judy Tufts

  Judy Tufts