[NatureNS] Re: Owl gut contents

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 11:39:18 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--bcaec529a0395b3a4804afe4292f

I've posted pictures of the prey from the GHOW gut. These are not pictures
for the faint of heart, they are partially digested, wet critters.

http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/owlstudents002.jpg - shows all the prey
except for the second Jumping Mouse. I'm pretty sure the bird in the bottom
centre is a vireo.

http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/owlstudents004.jpg - a close up of the
warbler...Canada?

http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/owlstudents006.jpg - another view.

Thoughts?

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 21 October 2011 16:34, Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> A few weeks ago, Ken McKenna dropped off a road-killed Great Horned Owl for
> me here at StFX. As is typical this time of year, I have a few high school
> students doing a skeleton reconstruction project under my guidance, and this
> group is currently prepping out the GHOW. (As an aside, I thawed the bird
> after Ken gave it to me and felt it all over, thinking that a road-kill
> would have broken bones...it felt surprisingly intact, and now that the
> students have the feathers off, I still can't see any problems. )
>
> The "stomach" was huge, and when I cut it open with the students, I found a
> Jumping Mouse (not sure which species), a warbler and another bird, perhaps
> a forest thrush of some sort, and then a second Jumping Mouse. The warbler
> really surprised me because there's so little to a warbler, I didn't think a
> bird the size of a horned owl would bother. Always learning, I guess. There
> are enough feathers on the warbler still that I think it can be
> identified...my guess at this point is either Magnolia or Canada, but I'll
> let you know.
>
> Randy
> _________________________________
> RF Lauff
> Way in the boonies of
> Antigonish County, NS.

--bcaec529a0395b3a4804afe4292f

I&#39;ve posted pictures of the prey from the GHOW gut. These are not pictu=
res for the faint of heart, they are partially digested, wet critters.<div>=
2.jpg">http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/owlstudents002.jpg</a>=A0- shows=
 all the prey except for the second Jumping Mouse. I&#39;m pretty sure the =
bird in the bottom centre is a vireo.</div>

nts004.jpg">http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/owlstudents004.jpg</a>=A0- =
p://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/owlstudents006.jpg">http://people.stfx.ca/=
rlauff/photos/owlstudents006.jpg</a>=A0- another view.</div>

l">_________________________________<br>RF Lauff<br>Way in the boonies of<b=
r>Antigonish County, NS.<br>
pan dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:randy.lauff@gmail.com">randy.lauff@gm=
"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

led Great Horned Owl for me here at StFX. As is typical this time of year, =
I have a few high school students doing a skeleton reconstruction project u=
nder my guidance, and this group is currently prepping out the GHOW. (As an=
 aside, I thawed the bird after Ken gave it to me and felt it all over, thi=
nking that a road-kill would have broken bones...it felt surprisingly intac=
t, and now that the students have the feathers off, I still can&#39;t see a=
ny problems. )</div>

n with the students, I found a Jumping Mouse (not sure which species), a wa=
rbler and another bird, perhaps a forest thrush of some sort, and then a se=
cond Jumping Mouse. The warbler really surprised me because there&#39;s so =
little to a warbler, I didn&#39;t think a bird the size of a horned owl wou=
ld bother. Always learning, I guess. There are enough feathers on the warbl=
er still that I think it can be identified...my guess at this point is eith=
er Magnolia or Canada, but I&#39;ll let you know.</div>

--bcaec529a0395b3a4804afe4292f--