[NatureNS] sapsucker & wire birch

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 20:54:05 -0300

Dear All,                        Oct 22, 2011
    While salvaging some Poplar recently (trees that went over last
December) I also cut a nearby damaged Wire Birch.

    This was a long lanky tree about 8" at the butt and the upper third that
carried the crown had just flopped over. True to the name, very few wood
fibers had broken but instead the fibers had just unwound near the bend and
continuity of crown to base via bark was apparently disrupted. This probably
happened sometime this year after budbreak because there were still a few
leaves on the crown.

    The position and concentration of Sapsucker holes struck me as
interesting. The rather intense feeding was restricted to the several feet
of surface that had faced upward  just distal to the section of unwound
wood.

    Presumably phloem translocates would concentrate just above the break
and the Sapsucker knew or was attracted by leaking phloem sap.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville