[NatureNS] Of Pink-footed and Bean Geese

From: "Eric L. Mills" <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: ns-rba@yahoogroups.com, Naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:00:23 -0300
Cc: ocotillo@ns.sympatico.ca, freeportwildbird@yahoo.com

Maybe it's time for an update on the gray goose situation in the Windsor/Falmouth area. I
started all this and I should see it through.

A number of us watched a gray goose in the Canada flock that accumulated during the
afternoon in the College Road-Hwy 14 area yesterday (Monday afternoon, Oct. 24). I was
there, as was Dave Currie, although we missed each other. In most respects, it had the
marks of a Pink-footed Goose - smallish dark-tipped bill with a pinkish central portion,
grayish scapulars and coverts, giving a somewhat silvery appearance when spread, and
pinkish legs (some saw them as orange, and I could see orange from the rear and a dullish
pink from the side). Size comparison showed that it was as large as most of the Canadas.
As far as I know, no one photographed the bird yesterday.

Dave Currie and I agree that this was the bird that we saw on Saturday, although from much
farther away. It also looks like the bird in a few digiscoped images of rather poor quality that
we got on Saturday. If so, Saturday's bird was a Pink-foot, although with some problematic
features - the overall size of the the bird, the size of the bill (small, but not really small,
giving a sloping profile), lack of really striking silvery-gray scapulars and coverts, and
indeterminate leg colour that can appear orange.

An interesting question is whether or not Saturday's and yesterday's bird was the same one
as the indisputable Pink-footed Goose photographed by Tuma on Sunday near Falmouth.
After comparing images from Saturday and Sunday, I think it probably was - but I am
puzzled by the difference in the amount of silvery gray shown in his photos and ours. I think
too that I can see a difference in the amount of black relative to pinkish on the right side of
the bill. But it's worth noting that the Falmouth bird looks strikingly different from frame to
frame, depending on angle and lighting conditions (quite warm light on Sunday, much colder
and flatter on Saturday and yesterday).

I think that this will boil down to one rather large Pink-footed Goose. If two gray geese show
up together, the whole situation can be rethunk.