[NatureNS] Balloons

Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 14:00:46 -0400
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 11/1/2011 12:37 PM, Lynne Perry wrote:
> I think it makes sense for us to be more vocal about these balloons. We
> need to show the damage these balloons do, so it can be stopped. Show
> pictures of whales, birds and other animals adversely affected. It is an
> educational issue, methinks.  I think most people do not want to do harm
> to the earth, or its creatures or vegetation.

* we saw a lot of these along Lake Ontario when we did the lakeshore in
1994 - http://pinicola.ca/books.htm#APTW - and I wonder if the frequency
has changed. The interesting thing is that the release of a balloon is
the same action as littering, but one supposes that those who release
them don't think of it that way.

And then there's the deeper question of the character of the mentality
of those who throw beverage containers and other refuse along roadsides.
I find it very difficult to imagine what they must be "thinking" as they
throw trash out of a moving vehicle (but, of course, I can't imagine
purchasing most of these beverages, so perhaps the disposal method is
only a consequence of the purchase). I imagine that even those who
distribute Tim Hortons cups along the roads don't do so with the thought
that they're providing food for slugs and snails.

fred.

--

fred schueler
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad