[NatureNS] Relocating Wildlife??

Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 17:30:22 -0300
From: Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&gt;

--Boundary_(ID_t+6Brf4n9KFh7A/pgm2gWg)

Taking feeders in at night is indeed totally effective; It is initially
a nuisance that ultimately becomes the normal routine of bird feeding -
and it certainly beats the extreme nuisance/cost of hunting
for/replacing lost feeders.

Eleanor Lindsay

On 02/11/2011 11:54 PM, Helene Van Doninck wrote:
> [...]
>> not seeing anymore raccoon's around our yards.
>>
>> My neighbor was happy and filled the hole and mended his garage and hasn't
>> had a problem since.
>>
>> On a message board that I frequent often I told my story of the raccoon's
>> and my relocating them. Then just recently another member of the forum was
>> telling us how he was dealing with a couple raccoon's which got one of the
>> other members thinking about reason's raccoon's should not be relocated, he
>> seems to have some very valid points but even so, I would not have the
>> heart to allow my neighbor to kill them or to take them somewhere that
>> will euthanize them.
>>
>> I know this forum has some very well educated nature and wildlife persons
>> and I would love to hear what the experts think.
>>
>> Here is the message that the other message board member wrote:
>>
>> *Why is it sometimes necessary to euthanize a nuisance animal that has
>> been trapped rather than releasing back to the "wild?"*
>>
>> There are several biological reasons why it's generally not a good idea to
>> move wildlife to new areas. It is difficult to find rural areas without any
>> humans nearby. And moving wildlife only puts it into another animal's
>> territory, which can create stress, injury and even death. Other reasons
>> include the following:
>> 1) Relocation can be stressful to wild animals. They may experience
>> elevated heart rates and breathing rates, high blood pressure, acute
>> changes in blood chemistry and depressed appetites. These factors, in turn,
>> may make them more vulnerable to disease or predation.
>> 2) Relocated animals have no prior experience with their new homes, which
>> immediately puts them at a disadvantage for finding food and shelter. Many
>> wildlife species, such as bobcats, foxes, opossums and raccoons, are common
>> and widespread. That means when they become nuisance animals there is no
>> place to relocate them that doesn't already have established populations of
>> those animals.
>> 3) Animals released in a new territory are often out-competed for food and
>> shelter by resident animals.
>> 4) Relocating nuisance animals can increase the spread of disease. In some
>> cases, animals become nuisances when they get sick because they look for
>> easy sources of food and may become less fearful of people. Just as we
>> humans spread disease among our populations by traveling, animals can bring
>> diseases into new areas when they are relocated, thus affecting the
>> resident animal populations.
>> 5) Animals that are relocated often leave the area where they are
>> released. Relocated animals may wander for miles, leading to further
>> interactions with wildlife and people.
>>
>> I'm not saying we should just randomly go about trapping and killing
>> everything. But in situations where there are problem wildlife I'd prefer
>> to have them euthanized than released to a likely slow painful death of
>> starvation, disease or wounds from fights.

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    effective; It is initially a nuisance that ultimately becomes the
    normal routine of bird feeding - and it certainly beats the extreme
    nuisance/cost of hunting for/replacing lost feeders.<br>
    Eleanor Lindsay<br>
      <pre wrap="">Hi Jeff, I agree with the responses you featured in highlighted text in
[...]

        <pre wrap="">I'm just curious on the good, the bad and the ugly of relocating wildlife.

[...]

been trapped rather than releasing back to the &#8220;wild?&#8221;*

There are several biological reasons why it&#8217;s generally not a good idea to
move wildlife to new areas. It is difficult to find rural areas without any
humans nearby. And moving wildlife only puts it into another animal&#8217;s
territory, which can create stress, injury and even death. Other reasons
include the following:
1) Relocation can be stressful to wild animals. They may experience
elevated heart rates and breathing rates, high blood pressure, acute
changes in blood chemistry and depressed appetites. These factors, in turn,
may make them more vulnerable to disease or predation.
2) Relocated animals have no prior experience with their new homes, which
immediately puts them at a disadvantage for finding food and shelter. Many
wildlife species, such as bobcats, foxes, opossums and raccoons, are common
and widespread. That means when they become nuisance animals there is no
place to relocate them that doesn&#8217;t already have established populations of
[...]

</pre>
      <pre wrap="">

</pre>

--Boundary_(ID_t+6Brf4n9KFh7A/pgm2gWg)--