[NatureNS] Possible gyrfalcon

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 22:37:35 +0000

--_0af6611b-c4cb-4240-be1c-69815b9f7447_

I'm only calling it as a possible as I was unable to get a good enough view=
 to see the features that I needed confirm the identity.  We were at Oxner'=
s Beach=2C Lower LaHave.  I saw a large group of crows high up and nearby w=
hat I thought initially as a common raven circling.  I immediately noted th=
at the pattern of the circle and the body shape was not right for a raven. =
 I looked through the car windshield and realized that it was a raptor and =
my initial call was a peregrine falcon.  I hopped out for a better look and=
 caught it only as it disappeared out of sight.  Due to the height of the r=
aptor and body shape I would say that it was a gyrfalcon=2C but with only t=
his to go by I left it as an unknown.  It was headed in the direction of Ki=
ngsburg when last seen.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bayport 		 	   		  =

--_0af6611b-c4cb-4240-be1c-69815b9f7447_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
I'm only calling it as a possible as I was unable to get a good enough view=
 to see the features that I needed confirm the identity.&nbsp=3B We were at=
 Oxner's Beach=2C Lower LaHave.&nbsp=3B I saw a large group of crows high u=
p and nearby what I thought initially as a common raven circling.&nbsp=3B I=
 immediately noted that the pattern of the circle and the body shape was no=
t right for a raven.&nbsp=3B I looked through the car windshield and realiz=
ed that it was a&nbsp=3Braptor and my initial call was a peregrine falcon.&=
nbsp=3B I hopped out for a better look and caught it only as it disappeared=
 out of sight.&nbsp=3B Due to the height of the raptor and body shape I wou=
ld say that it was a gyrfalcon=2C but with only this to go by I left it as =
an unknown.&nbsp=3B It was headed in the direction of Kingsburg when last s=
een.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_0af6611b-c4cb-4240-be1c-69815b9f7447_--