[NatureNS] great horned owl

Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 22:00:30 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

         Thanks for passing on this information.  The Great Horned
Owl was still in Camphill Cemetery, near the central path that runs
from Carleton Street towards Veterans Memorial Way, when I went down
at lunchtime.  Most of the big elms and oaks in the cemetery still
have their leaves, so it was hard to spot even so big a bird at
first. As you suggested, the single crow which was sounding the alarm
was a help in finding it.  I saw the owl briefly before a
photographer with a huge lens approached too closely, and it took
off.  Its flight towards the Public Gardens excited more crows than
were in attendance before.  However Suzanne Borkowski told me that
she saw the owl back in the centre of the cemetery later in the afternoon.

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax