[NatureNS] Valley Gray Squirrels update + coot in Kentville

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 21:49:50 -0400
From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

and s
--14dae9340ab158f3c004b20cab3e

Hi Jim et al,

We have had two GRAY SQUIRRELS in our back yard this year, Forest Hill Rd,
Kentville, just up the roadfrom Miner's marsh. One is grey and the other
black, often seen together. The grey individual was onenof the first
visitors to our platform feeder, stocked yesterday.

Today I had two EVENiNG GROSBEAKS flying overhead an perched next door.

Sent from my itouch.

On Friday, November 18, 2011, James W. Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
wrote:
> NOV. 17, 2011 - My regular eyes exam with Dr. Katherine (Kathy) McKee was
revealing regarding natural history in the Kentville area where she lives.
From her home near the funeral home just east of downtown Kentville, she
frequently walks the nice Miner's Marsh trails (behind the King's Co.
Municipal building).   She said the coot is still there as of a couple of
days ago.
> She said she has had several recent sightings of a "big Ontario squirrel"
(i.e., GRAY SQUIRREL in gray pelage) at or near the marsh, and that another
GRAY SQUIRREL hangs out at or near the Valley Regional Hospital.  I had
heard about the latter from Richard Stern and others.
> Lately I have had almost no reports of Gray Squirrels in The Valley,
except for Ed Sulis in Kentville where there continue to be two at his
feeders.  I haven't spoken with Jon Percy in Granville Ferry for a few
months, but he used to have more than one at his feeders.  No recent
reports from Wolfville or Canning.
> I should also mention Clairmont Provincial Park near Kingston, where
Bernard Forsythe very recently saw at least one gray squirrel.  And there
is a history of others seeing up to several gray squirrels at once in that
park, and in both gray and black pelages.
> NOV. 18, 2011 - Today our very strange warm Autumn seems to have come to
a very abrupt end, and Winter has begun! (with overnight snow (a bit) on
the ground and cars and bushes and a high temperature of about 3 C.
> Also today, at the annual Acadia Univ. Xmas Craft Fair at the Acadia
Arena (get your new Blomidon Naturalists Society Calendar(s) on Nov. 18,
19, or 20), Ed Sulis of Kentville brought me up to date on his yard GRAY
SQUIRRELS.  Currently he has two gray-coloured ones regularly, and
separately recently also a black individual.  Incidentally, since Ed keeps
and transports the BNS displays, at the Craft Fair we can see quite a few
of his very nice photos of field trips, coastal scenery, flowers, water in
its various forms, etc.  I told him that at least one of his photos on
display would make a fabulous choice for next year's calendar!
> Cheers from Jim in Wolfville
> Jim (James W.) Wolford
> 91 Wickwire Ave.
> Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada
> B4P 1W3
> phone 902-542-9204
> e-mail <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
> "The Earth has spawned such a diversity of remarkable creatures that I
wonder why we do not all live in a state of perpetual awe and
astonishment." -- Howard Ensign Evans, in "Life on a Little-Known Planet",
1968.

--
James Churchill
Kentville, Nova Scotia

--14dae9340ab158f3c004b20cab3e

Hi Jim et al,<br><br>We have had two GRAY SQUIRRELS in our back yard this y=
ear, Forest Hill Rd, Kentville, just up the roadfrom Miner&#39;s marsh. One=
 is grey and the other black, often seen together. The grey individual was =
onenof the first visitors to our platform feeder, stocked yesterday.<br>
Wolford &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jimwolford@eastlink.ca">jimwolford@eastlink.c=
a</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; NOV. 17, 2011 - My regular eyes exam with Dr. Katherine (Kathy) McKee =
was revealing regarding natural history in the Kentville area where she liv=
es.=A0 From her home near the funeral home just east of downtown Kentville,=
 she frequently walks the nice Miner&#39;s Marsh trails (behind the King&#3=
9;s Co. Municipal building). =A0 She said the coot is still there as of a c=
ouple of days ago.=A0<br>
&gt; She said she has had several recent sightings of a &quot;big Ontario s=
quirrel&quot; (i.e., GRAY SQUIRREL in gray pelage) at or near the marsh, an=
d that another GRAY SQUIRREL hangs out at or near the Valley Regional Hospi=
tal.=A0 I had heard about the latter from Richard Stern and others.<br>
&gt; Lately I have had almost no reports of Gray Squirrels in The Valley, e=
xcept for Ed Sulis in Kentville where there continue to be two at his feede=
rs.=A0 I haven&#39;t spoken with Jon Percy in Granville Ferry for a few mon=
ths, but he used to have more than one at his feeders.=A0 No recent reports=
 from Wolfville or Canning.<br>
&gt; I should also mention Clairmont Provincial Park near Kingston, where B=
ernard Forsythe very recently saw at least one gray squirrel.=A0 And there =
is a history of others seeing up to several gray squirrels at once in that =
park, and in both gray and black pelages.<br>
&gt; NOV. 18, 2011 - Today our very strange warm Autumn seems to have come =
to a very abrupt end, and Winter has begun! (with overnight snow (a bit) on=
 the ground and cars and bushes and a high temperature of about 3 C.<br>
&gt; Also today, at the annual Acadia Univ. Xmas Craft Fair at the Acadia A=
rena (get your new Blomidon Naturalists Society Calendar(s) on Nov. 18, 19,=
 or 20), Ed Sulis of Kentville brought me up to date on his yard GRAY SQUIR=
RELS.=A0 Currently he has two gray-coloured ones regularly, and separately =
recently also a black individual.=A0 Incidentally, since Ed keeps and trans=
ports the BNS displays, at the Craft Fair we can see quite a few of his ver=
y nice photos of field trips, coastal scenery, flowers, water in its variou=
s forms, etc.=A0 I told him that at least one of his photos on display woul=
d make a fabulous choice for next year&#39;s calendar!<br>
&gt; Cheers from Jim in Wolfville<br>&gt; Jim (James W.) Wolford<br>&gt; 91=
t; phone 902-542-9204<br>&gt; e-mail &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jimwolford@eastl=
ink.ca">jimwolford@eastlink.ca</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; &quot;The Earth has spawned such a diversity of remarkable creatures t=
hat I wonder why we do not all live in a state of perpetual awe and astonis=
hment.&quot; -- Howard Ensign Evans, in &quot;Life on a Little-Known Planet=
&quot;, 1968.<br>
&gt; &quot;In wildness is the preservation of the world&quot; -- Henry Davi=
r><a href=3D"mailto:jameslchurchill@gmail.com">jameslchurchill@gmail.com</a=
home: (902) 681-2374<br><br>

--14dae9340ab158f3c004b20cab3e--