[NatureNS] Ash-throated Flycatcher- Antigonish Landing

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>, NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:32:07 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_mK+DyNDqdSwUvmNV5Py/Cw)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
Thanks Randy for passing on my earlier message to the RBA and for the =
directions to the location. Here is more detail:
This morning Nov. 26, about 11:20, I was on the north observation =
platform looking over the marsh at Antigonish Landing Wildlife =
Management area having parked and walked in from
the Tony's meat end of the walking trail. As I was scoping the various =
birds in the marsh from the platform, I became aware of a calling bird =
that sounded somewhat like a purple finch, but not just right for this =
species.  The sound kept coming closer from the north and then I saw a =
bird move below me and a flash of red tail. Over the next 10 min. I was =
able to great great views and photos of the flycatcher and also recorded =
a small clip on my I-pod of the call note. I am pretty confident that =
the bird is an ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHER but Brown-crested must also be =
considered. I left to get news out and went to Marilyn O'Brien's house =
near by as she had hosted an Ash-throated Flycatcher last year on Nov. =
18. (I missed seeing it then).   I managed to leave a few messages and =
went back to see if I could refind the bird after a quick trip to =
Jimtown.  On my first pass through, I did not see it near the platform =
and continued walking to the more southerly platform and then walked =
back. The flycatcher was still in the area of the northern platform. =
Shortly, John Kearney came along and we had the bird between the 2 of =
us. We got more good views and heard it call again. John had Sibley's =
soundtracks on his phone and the best match was the Ash-throated. The =
bird eventually flew out into the marsh and we made to leave. We did not =
go too far when we met Marilyn O'Brien and I accompanied her back to the =
platform where we soon saw the flycatcher again. We had good looks again =
and were on our way back to the car when we met Randy Lauff so Marilyn =
and I went back and the bird was still visible from the trail  in the =
vicinity of the platform. We left about 3:30.=20
The sun was shining nicely on this area most of the time I was there and =
there seemed to be some insect activity and the bird seemed to feed =
periodically. It seemd healthy and alert.
I have posted 2 photos to NS RBA. I have more shots and can also post =
more if needed to ID the bird for sure. The weather is not favourable =
for southern flycatcherrs tomorrow with a high forecast of 3C!=20

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=3D202252740826864612170.0004b2a706dcb=
45c14c4c&msa=3D0&ll=3D45.631025,-61.964157&spn=3D0.008298,0.013797

--Boundary_(ID_mK+DyNDqdSwUvmNV5Py/Cw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19154">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Thanks Randy for passing on my earlier message to
the RBA and for the directions to the location. Here is more
detail:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>This morning Nov. 26, about 11:20, I was on the
north observation platform looking over the marsh at Antigonish
Landing&nbsp;Wildlife Management area having parked and walked in
from</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>the Tony's meat end of the walking trail. As I was
scoping the various birds in the marsh from the platform, I became aware of a
calling bird that sounded somewhat like a purple finch, but not just right for
this species.&nbsp; The sound kept coming closer from the north and then I saw a
bird move below me&nbsp;and a flash of red tail. Over the next 10 min. I was
able to great great views and photos of the flycatcher and also recorded a small
clip on my I-pod of the call note. I am pretty confident that the bird is an
ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHER but Brown-crested must also be considered. </FONT><FONT
size=2 face=Arial>I left to get news out and went to Marilyn O'Brien's house
near by as she had hosted an Ash-throated Flycatcher last year on Nov. 18. (I
missed seeing it then).&nbsp; &nbsp;I managed to leave a few messages and went
back to see if I could refind the bird after a quick trip to Jimtown.&nbsp; On
my first pass through, I did not see it near the platform&nbsp;and continued
walking to the more southerly </FONT><FONT size=2 face=Arial>platform and then
walked back. The flycatcher was still in the area of the northern&nbsp;platform.
Shortly, John Kearney came along and we had the bird between the 2 of us. We got
more good views and heard it call again. John had Sibley's soundtracks on his
phone and the best match was the Ash-throated. The bird eventually flew out into
the marsh and we made to leave. We did not go too far when we met Marilyn
O'Brien and I accompanied her back to the platform where we soon saw the
flycatcher again. We had good looks again and were on our way back to the car
when we met Randy Lauff so Marilyn and I went back and the bird was still
visible from the trail&nbsp; </FONT><FONT size=2 face=Arial>in the vicinity of
the platform. We left about 3:30.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The sun was shining nicely on this area most of the
time I was there and there seemed to be some insect activity and the bird seemed
to feed periodically. It seemd healthy and alert.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I&nbsp;have posted 2&nbsp;photos to NS RBA. I have
more shots and can also post more if needed to&nbsp;ID the bird for sure. The
weather is not favourable for southern&nbsp;flycatcherrs&nbsp;tomorrow with a
high forecast of 3C! </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><A
href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202252740826864612170.0004b2a706dcb45c14c4c&amp;msa=0&amp;ll=45.631025,-61.964157&amp;spn=0.008298,0.013797">http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202252740826864612170.0004b2a706dcb45c14c4c&amp;msa=0&amp;ll=45.631025,-61.964157&amp;spn=0.008298,0.013797</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_mK+DyNDqdSwUvmNV5Py/Cw)--