[NatureNS] red bellied woodpecker and orioles

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 19:32:35 -0400

My friends in Liverpool on Zwicker Ave have a Red bellied woodpecker hanging
out there again, visiting regularly now for a time and while I was visiting
we were just gazing out the window and we saw three orioles. Drunk as lords
they were, feasting on Hawthorn berries, having a fine time. Oh and a white
Breasted nuthatch who is a regular there as well.

Now over the past few days there have been a number of Blue jays and
chickadees working my grapevine feeders along with both downy and hairy
woodpeckers but yesterday and today, I noticed something flying away quickly
and am pretty sure it was orioles both times. We have also had a good sized
group of waxwings (more than a dozen) flying above the property. I can't
tell which, too far way, but I expect they will swing in soon and hit the
Hawthorne trees. Maybe the same group cleaned up the ones in the front yard
the other day.

Starlings are massing down by the golf course on the wires. I hope they stay
away. Lots of mourning doves are still about, more than 30 this am, but the
neighbourhood cats are doing damage to them. They do come whether we feed
them or not, they always have, so there isn't anything I can do. We seem to
have a robin hanging around but not in our yard although it did go to the
ground where we used to feed the one that stayed for a couple years. Maybe
coincidence, maybe not. It spent most of the stormy day there. I'm not sure
with the problem of the cats if we will continue to feed them back there
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens