[NatureNS] Going into N.S. caves

Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 13:43:29 -0400
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

margin-bottom:
Hi Pat,
Earlier I think I posted notice of this talk at Dalhousie copied below
and in fact went to it myself -- quite informative.  This won't answer
the questions about access, but here's some of the points Craig Willis
made which may be of general interest to this list.

He showed pics of him and his colleagues entering caves in white
hazmat type suits, hoods and boots.  They are concerned about tracking
the fungus around, which has not (yet) reached places further west
including his local area, Winipeg.

The white-nose syndrome affects bats in Europe but the effects and
mortality are much less severe there than here. DNA evidence indicates
that the organism is effectively the same species in Europe and N.
America (they gave it the same Latin name), with some differences.  I
took from this that the European infection has been around way longer
there and the bat population there has developed some form of
resistance, while the original US infection is very recent and may
have come in somehow from Europe to non-resistant species here, much
like the way that smallpox and other diseases decimated the native
populations here who had no resistance, earlier. This fungus speicies
is highly unusual in that it flourishes best in cold conditions and
low humidity.

Several bat species are at risk and may go extinct locally when it
gets here.  A colleague questioned why the immune system doesn't kick
in to deal with the infection, and the reply was that the immune
system apparently is completely shut off during the hibernation
period.  The infestation started in one bat cave in New York state and
has gradually radiated out from there over several years and is now in
places in the Maritimes (I forget where).  This would fit with bats
mixing between colonies and gradually carrying the fungus out to other
caves, but this could also in principle be supplemented by cavers
unwittingly spreading the infection on their boots -- he showed a pic
of the floor of an affected cave thickly carpeted with dead bats, that
presumably remain infective.

Although the white nose is the conspicuous dermatological
characteristic, the organism affects the bat's skin widely, and,
particularly nastily, the wing membranes. The result is that the parts
of the wing surface that sustain damage become less naturally
waterproof so the bat loses body water via the wings during
hibernation (water does condense as local droplets on the cave walls
but the atmosphere where the bat hangs is very low humidity).  The bat
becomes seriously dehydrated and this is what causes it to eventually
wake up in the winter and start flying around for a drink.  This
process becomes more frequent as the winter progresses, and this
depletes the bat's energy reserves. The primary cause seems to be
water loss, not electrolyte loss.  If bats make it through the winter,
the immune system presumably kicks in and they are less vulnerable for
the period where they are active in the spring and later.

There was other stuff -- you missed a good talk. I think Ian McLaren
also attended and may be able to fill in the gaps.
Steve (Halifax)

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 17
3:30pm Fifth Floor Biology Lounge Life Sciences Centre (Biology Seminar)
Craig Willis
Department of Biology and
Centre for Forest Interdisciplinary Research
University of Winnipeg
"From cutaneous infection to mass-scale starvation: Understanding
white-nose syndrome in hibernating bats"