[NatureNS] Mystery birds

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 19:29:45 +0000

--_77f8e85f-9c03-4cee-811c-f62cf315f3dd_

Hi all:
=20
Well I must say that today I had two birds that left me scratching my head.=
  The first=2C don't laugh=2C but is it possible to have a boreal X black-c=
apped chickadee?  Travelling with chickadees alongside of the road that bri=
ngs you to National Sea by Battery Point=2C was a chickadee=2C that in all =
respects looked like a boreal chickadee and I would have called it such exc=
ept that the head was jet black=2C the exact same color as a black-capped c=
hickadees would be.  The bright rusty flanks was certainly diagnostic of a =
boreal.   Now Sibley's shows a juvenile as having a dark head=2C but not as=
 dark as in the bird that I had today.  The only explanation that I can com=
e up with is a cross.
=20
The other mystery bird was a hawk.  I did have two red-trailed hawks at Bac=
k Harbour Lunenburg and two bald eagles=2C but this other hawk came low ove=
r the trail and the sun was on it making it look almost transparant=2C very=
 pale and light brown.  Over all there was bright black on the wing tips.  =
Underneath there was stripping along the head=2C but none otherwise on the =
underpart.  It was very pale and light brown.  There were no bands on the t=
ail at all.  This also was light brown.  The wings showed dark on the upper=
 region the whole way along and very light along the underpart region.  By =
this I mean multi colored as if a line went down the middle from the wing t=
ips to where the wings join the body.  I tried to make it into a rough-legg=
ed hawk=2C but the under pattern was not right.  In regards to it being a r=
ed-tailed hawk=2C it did not match any of our eastern birds=2C so a juvenil=
e western sub-species is possible.  I next looked at a juvenile broad-winge=
d hawk.  It is close=2C but not shaped right.  My closest guess after looke=
d at hawks in flight photographs from one of the hawk guides and reading th=
e description over would be a juvenile red-shouldered hawk.  This is a spec=
ies that I have no experience with=2C so even though I had close up long vi=
ews of the bird I have to leave it as a mystery.  My viewing time inclused =
first seeing it and it swinging back over the trail and then in the other d=
irection.  It then came back along the edge of the trail and then flew alon=
g the trail and right over the top of me at a very low level.  It would sto=
p and flap every now and then in mid air.  It then made another pass over m=
e and back the other way with a herring gull being very upset at it and wit=
h the herring gull chasing it.  Why this might have been is a mystery to me=
. =20
=20
Other good birds seen today were one Bonaparte Gull at the Back Harbour Lun=
enburg.  Sylvia Fullerton and I believe Shirley had a number of these gulls=
 at a different location and this would be new for the NS winter list.   I =
also had one black-headed gull at Back Harbour Lunenburg.  At the entrance =
to the Back Harbour Trail on the far side of town below Harbour View Haven =
and just up from the main road that would take you to Blue Rocks were 7 yel=
low-rumped warblers.  At the by Shore Road=2C where settlers first landed i=
n Lunenburg=2C was a female northern cardinal.  I found a pied-billed grebe=
 in the pond by Westhaver Beach at Mader's Cove.
=20
Earlier in the morning I visited the property of Frances Anderson at Grimm'=
s Settlement.  The red-bellied woodpecker is still there and she also had a=
 male red-winged blackbird.  A barred owl had also been there just before I=
 arrived.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater 		 	   		  =

--_77f8e85f-9c03-4cee-811c-f62cf315f3dd_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Well I must say that today I had two birds that left me scratching my head.=
&nbsp=3B The first=2C don't laugh=2C but is it possible to have a boreal X =
black-capped chickadee?&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BTravelling with&nbsp=3Bchickadees al=
ongside of the road that brings you to National Sea by Battery Point=2C was=
 a chickadee=2C that in all respects looked like a boreal&nbsp=3Bchickadee =
and I would have called it such except that the head was&nbsp=3Bjet black=
=2C the exact&nbsp=3Bsame color as a&nbsp=3Bblack-capped chickadees would b=
e.&nbsp=3B The bright rusty flanks was&nbsp=3Bcertainly diagnostic of a bor=
eal.&nbsp=3B &nbsp=3BNow Sibley's shows a juvenile as having a dark head=2C=
 but not as dark as in the bird that I had today.&nbsp=3B The only explanat=
ion that I can come up with is a cross.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The other mystery bird was a hawk.&nbsp=3B I did have two red-trailed hawks=
 at Back Harbour Lunenburg and two bald eagles=2C but this other hawk came =
low over the trail and the sun was on it making it look almost transparant=
=2C very pale and light brown.&nbsp=3B Over all there was bright black on t=
he wing tips.&nbsp=3B Underneath there was stripping along the head=2C but =
none otherwise on the underpart.&nbsp=3B It was very pale and light brown.&=
nbsp=3B There were no bands on the tail at all.&nbsp=3B This also was light=
 brown.&nbsp=3B The wings showed dark&nbsp=3Bon the upper region the whole =
way along&nbsp=3Band very light along the underpart region.&nbsp=3B By this=
 I mean multi colored as if a line went down the middle from the wing tips =
to where the wings join the body.&nbsp=3B I tried to make it into a rough-l=
egged hawk=2C but the under pattern was not right.&nbsp=3B In regards to it=
 being a red-tailed hawk=2C it did not match any of our eastern birds=2C so=
 a juvenile western sub-species is possible.&nbsp=3B I next looked at a juv=
enile broad-winged hawk.&nbsp=3B It is close=2C but not shaped right.&nbsp=
=3B My closest guess after looked at hawks in flight photographs from one o=
f the hawk guides and reading the description over would be a juvenile red-=
shouldered hawk.&nbsp=3B This is a species that I have no experience with=
=2C so even though I had close up long views of the bird I have to leave it=
 as a mystery.&nbsp=3B My viewing time inclused first seeing it and it&nbsp=
=3Bswinging back over the trail and then in the other direction.&nbsp=3B It=
 then came back along the edge of the trail and then flew along the trail a=
nd right over the top of me&nbsp=3Bat a very low level.&nbsp=3B It would st=
op and flap every now and then in mid air.&nbsp=3B It then made another pas=
s over me and back the other way with a herring gull being very upset at it=
 and with the herring gull chasing it.&nbsp=3B Why this might have been is =
a mystery to me.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Other good birds seen today were one Bonaparte Gull at the Back Harbour Lun=
enburg.&nbsp=3B Sylvia Fullerton and I believe Shirley had a number of thes=
e gulls at a different location and this would be new for the NS winter lis=
t.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B I also had one black-headed gull at Back Harbour Lunenbu=
rg.&nbsp=3B At the entrance to the Back Harbour Trail on the far side of to=
wn below Harbour View Haven and just up from the main road that would take =
you to Blue Rocks were 7 yellow-rumped warblers.&nbsp=3B At the by Shore Ro=
ad=2C where settlers first landed in Lunenburg=2C was a female northern car=
dinal.&nbsp=3B I found a pied-billed grebe in the pond by Westhaver Beach a=
t Mader's Cove.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Earlier in the morning I visited the property of Frances Anderson at Grimm'=
s Settlement.&nbsp=3B The red-bellied woodpecker is still there and she als=
o had a male red-winged blackbird.&nbsp=3B A barred owl had also been there=
 just before I arrived.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bridgewater<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_77f8e85f-9c03-4cee-811c-f62cf315f3dd_--