[NatureNS] Cackling Geese, Onslow, Col. Co.

From: "Eric L. Mills" <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: ns-rba@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 17:13:57 -0400
Cc: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Today among about 3000 Canada Geese that accumulated in the fields in Onslow,
Colchester Co. (S of Hwy 2/4, between McWilliam Road and Pleasant View Drive) there were
3 tiny geese, at least two of them the Cackling Geese that have been in the area for some
time. I detected the pair in flight, but when I found them on the ground after some searching
they were accompanied by another small bird, apparently another Cackling Goose.

These were the only exotic faces in the big flock of geese today. I don't have counts to back
up my impressions, but it appears that there has been an influx of big, white-breasted
eastern Canadas and at least a relative decline of the dark-breasted smaller northern
"interior" types. If the Snow Geese haven't been shot, they may well have moved on, with
some of the more northern Canadas.