[NatureNS] Birds in Eastern shore

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 19:26:45 -0400

Saturday, Dec 12 2011

I checked out Bisset Lake just before noon, which was unusual for me
(normally I come down at 2 or so).   The sun was right in my eyes making it
difficult to check out ducks at a distance so what I found is not complete.

- 1 Canada goose still comes to the shore by itself in Bissett Lake.  It
flies rather weakly, but Ok.  Noticed its tail was not ?complete   Maybe the
wildlife clinic in Truro or Seaforth should take a look at it?

- 1 Canvasback snoozing in Bissett Lake

- 28?  Am Coots  in Bisset Lake - at one point most of them came to the
shore to preen

- Scaups, 1 Common Merganser, 1 Bufflehead, at least 3 Ruddy ducks  in
Bisset Lake

- 1 female Surf Scoter in the pond in Three Fathom Harbour,  2 male Surf
Scoter in Grand Desert

-1 Pintail    Three Fathom Harbour  (where the wharf is)

- flock of buffleheads in Lawrencetown, Grand Desert

-  TWO snipes feeding on the edge of the marsh

-1   2nd winter? Glaucous gull on the Cowbay beach (where the church is)
It looks all whitish, but not in summer plumage

- No sign of the great egret or great blue heron anywhere

- oddly enough, I failed to find a SINGLE cormorant anywhere - stretching
from Chezzectook to Eastern Passage ??!!